• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

dried Needing Quality Dried Peppers

Howdy gang!!!

I don't usually hang out in the pepper section as I do not grow, rather, I use peppers. I am here today to find out who has some great quality fresh dried peppers I can purchase. As anyone who has frequented this site knows, I am a chili competitor of epic obnoxiousness and always run around tooting my own horn about how good my food is (though always in jest and fun!)

Here's the new thing...my newest competition Texas style is off the chain!!!!! I am using store bought dried peppers and it is awesome. I'm figuring if I can get some dried peps from someone who really cares about what they are doing, then.......POW!!!!

So, I'm looking for dried California, dried New Mexico, and dried Japones. Give me a shout, I will debut my new creation at the NC state Championships on May 10, so I've got a little time. Thanks for any help!

Vic the Chili Man

Sorry, I'd be glad to share what I have for free, but it's so very the wrong time of year. Or were you looking for a commercial supplier? And when you say California, do you mean Serrano?

Pam-o, no supplier, I was looking for you pepper nuts to have super high quality dried stuff. But at this juncture, I would take that.

As far as I know, the dried pepper that I am using is called a California. It is fairly large, red, and shaped like a pepperoncini. As I am getting them from Harris Teeter, I cannot give any more info than that, but definatley not a serrano that I've seen. I am new to the dried pepper world, so probably need some coaching. I'll see what else I can find out and post the results, maybe you all can help me through.

Thanks for posting back.

Pam said:
Sorry, I'd be glad to share what I have for free, but it's so very the wrong time of year. Or were you looking for a commercial supplier? And when you say California, do you mean Serrano?

He might be referring to the Anaheim. Taken from www.thechileman.org, "Also known as California Chile or Chile Verde, this bushy upright plant can grow upto 2ft..."

Perhaps next year at this time I might have some dried peppers, if all goes well...

Probably right Freak! Again i apologize for any lack of knowledge. The pepper itself in dried form is about 3-4 inches long or so.

As it seems that harvests are a bit away, and unless I hear back from someone who's got some, I will look for a commercial supplier, but please keep me in mind as you pull in the fruit of your labors. I am hav ing a dried pepper revelation and cannot wait to get into the kitchen with some really nice stuff!

Back