• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help Needed - Dill Pickle Recipe

I've tried different ones from the web, Bell's canning guide, etc. The son (not sun) who judges my ability to preserve food and has nixed every pickle to date has said it has to be crunchy and must be dilled. Using Sikkim cucumbers. just picked 8.5 pounds of them. He doesn't like their skin, probably more due to looks than taste.

Mike

Then you need fresh dill (for the dill ;) lol)... and grape leaves and calcium chloride for crrrrunch!

Gimme five minutes, I've got a recipe somewhere that is older than your grandma and supposed to be very crunchy.....

2 fresh grape leaves per quart jar
2 large or 4 small sprigs fresh dill per quart jar
About 3.5 pounds small unwaxed cukes 1 inch or less in diameter and about 3 inches long
2 to 4 peeled cloves of garlic per quart jar
1 (1-inch) dried chili pepper per quart jar (optional but recommended!)
1 teaspoon mixed pickling spice per quart jar
Pinch of alum per quart jar (like I said, it's an old recipe, and this can be omitted)
7 cups water
1/3 cup coarse (kosher) salt or 1/4 cup pickling salt
1/2 cup cider vinegar

Wash and dry grape leaves and dill. Scrub cukes under cool, running water and trim away bad spots. Place garlic, spices, and alum nearby, and place the water, salt, and vinegar in a 2.5 quart saucepan to heat while you pack the pickles. Stir the brine occasionaly until the salt dissolves.

In each hot, sterilized wide mouth quart jar, pack 1 grape leav, 1 or 2 sprgs of dill, a vertical layer of cukes, 1 or 2 garlic cloves, a second lavyer of cukes, another garlic clove or 2, 1 or 2 dill sprigs. 1 teaspoon of pickling spice (and the chili pepper if desired), a pinch of alum (if used), and another grape leaf.

When all the jars are full, bring the brine to a boil, and pour it boiling hot, over the cukes to fill jars almost to overlowing. Clean rims and threads and seal. Makes abouth 3 quarts, but the brine is enough for about 4 quarts. Pourposely. When the pickles have stopped fermenting, you'll need extra brine to make up for lost during fermentation. If the solids are exposed to air, the pickles will mold and spoil.

IMPORTANT!!!!!

Sometimes the lids will seal, forming a vacuum as they should for most pickle products. They should not remain sealed for this type of pickle, which needs air during fermentation. So check the jars after they are cool, and release any lids that have sealed. Store the jars in a shallow pan or dish to catch overflowing brine. When the cukes are a uniform olive green color and the bubbling has stopped, remove the lids and clean them and the jar threads and rims. Add more brine to cover solids completely and reseal. Chill before serving.

This recipe is from 'The Pleasures of Presrving and Pickling' by Jeanne Lesem, and was published in 1975. It was her mother's recipe, and most likely her mother's mother's recipe. It is not a simple one, but undoubtedly will produce excellently firm pickles due to its lack of processing or boiling the cukes. I just got this book this year from my girlfriend's mother, but will be trying this recipe shortly since my neighbor has grapes growing in her yard. Easy access to grape leaves is not something we all have, so this recipe might not work for everyone....

if you omit the alum, you are omitting the ingredient that mostly causes the crunchiness IMO...you could use pickle crisp (food grade calcium chloride)...but they don't make it any more...I was trying to fine it last year but it was not available and I read that Ball (i think) stopped making it...

if you do use calcium chloride, make sure you don't use the stuff you put on your drive/walk ways to melt the ice...you have to use the food grade...

This is true AJ. I just know Alum is not chemically something most folks would want to put in their bodies nowadays. I'd almost bet the grape leaves would let you get away with the alum omission though.

Also, cutting off the blossom end of the fruit is supposed to keep them crispier. The blossom end is where pectinase enzymes are produced that break down the pectins in the fruit, making them softer over time. Maybe a combination of cutting off the blossom end and adding grape leaves might help?

FiveStar said:
This is true AJ. I just know Alum is not chemically something most folks would want to put in their bodies nowadays. I'd almost bet the grape leaves would let you get away with the alum omission though.

I have also read the useing Horseradish leaves also adds to the crispness/crunchiness as well.

here is another recipe....

Easy Home Made Hot Garlic Dill Pickles
INGREDIENTS:
Quantities of ingredients vary according to how many pickles you want to make. It will be clear as you read the procedure below.
FRESH cucumbers (how many?...how many pickles do you want to make?)
water
pickling salt
jalapeno peppers
grape leaves (fresh)
whole peppercorn
whole garlic cloves (peeled)
fresh dill sprigs
white vinegar (5% distilled - commonly sold in stores)
crushed red pepper (optional)
NOTE 1:
This recipe makes a pickle that is too salty for many people. Others love it. If you prefer a less salty flavor, reduce the salt in step 2 below to 1/4 cup. If you just want a hint of salt, use 3 tablespoons.
NOTE 2:
Select cucumbers that are about 3-5 inches long, with no blemishes! You can use any type cucumber, not just pickling cucumbers. I have always made the pickles using whole cucumbers, like the Pickle Man did. I have never tried slicing the cucumbers (length-way). I believe this would take away some of the crunch.
PROCEDURE
1. Prepare jars and lids in boiling water. Allow to stand in boiling water at least 15 minutes
2. In a LARGE pot, combine two quarts water, 1/2 cup salt, two cups white vinegar. Bring to a boil until all the salt is dissolved.
3. In each sterilized jar place: one large sprig of dill weed, 1 medium jalapeño pepper (sliced length-way), 3 cloves garlic, 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorn and 2 grape leaves.
4. Fill jar with cucumbers (previously washed in cold water) and pour hot vinegar mix in jar to within 1 inch of top.
5. Seal jars and process in hot water bath 15 minutes.

Back