Need variety suggestions

Our local high school ag teacher asked me what bell peppers and hot peppers would be good to start in the greenhouse at school for local sale. What are the best peppers for salsa? I know everyone on this site is looking for the hottest varieties,but need to know what ones would sell the best. We live in town of 3,000 in West Central Il.

Heritage Big Jim would be nice... Large fast growing medium-hot green chiles with a good background story for your marketing purposes.

Both suggestions are DAMN good ones. I wouldnt go any higher than serrano. Although, I MIGHT make a small batch with ghost pepper for the marketability as well. Not to mention a great conversation piece.

the coolest for medium heat that are the best tasting IMO :dance:
are called pasilla, poblano, or ancho
here in northern mexico... i mean Kalifornia
the local populace uses these most often for the chilis rellenos
and other favorites

another thing, here in the los angeles area they are readily available in the supermarkets
as are the the jalapeños and serranos (even in the walmart)

definitely jalapenos, serranos and long chili i.e. anaheim. I think it's a good idea too to have a small quantity of a superhot one as well.

Serrano is the traditional salsa pepper. You should check out the Serrano Del Sol. They grow copiously, and are about 1.5x the size of a normal Serrano (TomatoGrowers says 2x but that wasn't true for me), so they should be kinda fun for kids to grow.

thanks for the suggestions...I will pass them on to the ag teacher. I thought it would be interesting for the school to start some bhuts or T. Scorps..would make a good news story for the local papers, but don't know if they would be able to sell many to make it worth the effort.

Back