• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help Need help with recipe....

pepperfever said:
Pickling uses vinegar, in fact most canning recipes for low acid foods use some form of acid...vinegar, lemon juice, lime juice,etc to preserve them properly. Vinegar is the most common ingredient in pickles.

Jackie
I was going to try and make kosher dills last year (never did) and it said to not use vinegar. It used the pickling spices, dill, salt, and was boiled and cured for like a month or two in the dark. I believe they naturally ferment or something and produce their own acid or whatnot.

I think it depends on how you plan on doing the pickling, i.e. fresh pack vs. fermented vs. refridgerated dills, etc.

Pepperfreak said:
I too love garlic and cook with it a lot. There are 2 methods to canning, one is the water bath method and this is where you boil water and set your jars in the boiling water for a set period of time. The other method is with a pressure cooker. I use the water bath method because i don't have a pressure cooker. You just have to make sure that you boil for the set amount of time to kill any bacteria that might later cause botulism and it's really easy by following a recipe like the one I found.

Excellent because I dont have a pressure cooker either, I could get one from a relative, but I will need it more than once though a season as I'm sure you can imagine. The water bath method sounds like just what I need.

Thanks for your help!! The Ball website has some really handy info on it!! :)

I did a small batch with this recipe last Saturday, I'm gonna try and let em sit for two weeks before trying. Man its hard, I had to put them in the cupboard so I wouldnt see them! :)

I went 2 to 1 on the vinegar so we'll see how that turns out.

Peppers and tomatoes will turn to mush if processed using a pressure canner. The length of time it takes is for denser vegetables and fruits. A boiling water bath canning method is the best, just follow the directions carefully. Checking with the harvest section of a gardening website will give you more information on proper use of vinegar or some other form of acid like lemon juice,etc. Not sure if I can mention the site here so if you want to know pm me.

Jackie

I used the boiling water bath method and didnt have a problem. I have a really tall stock pot I put the jars in, takes a long time to get it to a boil. :)

I could see where the pressure cooker would be too much heat, just boiling like I did for 15 minutes started to split the skin on the jalapenos a little.

CaLoR said:
I did a small batch with this recipe last Saturday, I'm gonna try and let em sit for two weeks before trying. Man its hard, I had to put them in the cupboard so I wouldnt see them! :)

I went 2 to 1 on the vinegar so we'll see how that turns out.

I think you'll be surprised...Yummy...I can't wait to find out how they turned out.

Pepperfreak said:
I think you'll be surprised...Yummy...I can't wait to find out how they turned out.

Ok, I tried em today. They had a nice salty flavor. As far as the juice, tastes like about like what you would get in the store.

I liked em so much I'm making some more today. I altered the recipe by accident, but they should be just as good. I sliced half of them up and left the other half whole. The sliced ones should be great for about anything, mexican, potatoes, or whatever you want. :cool:

Back