• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Need advice for unusual late season cold snap...

I checked the 10 day forecast last weekend, and it was only supposed to dip into the low 50's tomorrow and Wednesday. Considering I live in central Alabama, and it is May, I thought I'd be good planting the majority of my hardened seedlings outdoors. Well, now the forecast is calling for not only rain tomorrow but an overnight low of 44, and the following night a low of 47. In addition to jalapenos, cayennes, tabasco, big jims, habanero and jamaican hot red pepper seedlings, I have also planted several tomatoes and cucumber plant seedlings. Fortunately my chocolate habs are still inside under grow lights.

Should I be concerned about the cold snap? The plants are well hardened apart from the jamaican hot red. I live in an apartment and so my only real option is to bring 1 or 2 pots inside, and I think it will definitely be the jamaican reds. I was thinking about covering the container garden in a large bedsheet once the rains have stopped unless someone else has better advice. Thanks

My pots survived 43 last night. Cold snap will bring it down in the high 30's tonight. I plan to bring the pots in and water my in ground plants well.

My pots survived 43 last night. Cold snap will bring it down in the high 30's tonight. I plan to bring the pots in and water my in ground plants well.

I know in the grand scheme of things 44 isn't that low, but what does worry me is that it is a projected 20+ degree swing from tonight's low (66). If bringing them all in isn't an option, should I cover them with something or just not worry about it?

That sucks that it's getting that cold where you are. I had a crazy idea but not sure if it would work, maybe use those "hot hand" heat warmer things? put a barrier between them and the ground, activate them, and then cover them and your plants with a sheet? Not sure if anyone has ever tried that, or if it would help at all, just a thought.

The last month or so I tried to keep up with the weather and would move plants in and out if it dipped to 45 at night. I've finally said NO, tough love as AJ would say. It's raining and in the mid 40s for a high today and the plants look great. I moved the under my patio so the pots wouldn't flood but other than that they are on their own. If your plants have been outside and are hardened off correct I see no worries for you.

I have read that putting out in the moderate cold is actually good for your pepper plants and will cause them to fruit earlier.

I do hope you are right about sudden cold spells being OK. I already lost a bunch to a hard frost and hail earlier this year. We dropped down to 39 degrees on Thursday night but my plants seem to be OK. Keeping fingers crossed for this strange weather (looking like being in the 90's this week).

I wouldn't worry about plants that have adjusted to the outside. We've had a few nights of low 40s/high 30s since I put the peppers outside and they always perk up by mid-morning. In the long run I think it should help them.

I had 2 plants that I had overwintered from last season outside for about the last week and a half. We had a drop to the mid 30's with lots of rain which caused my plants to loose most of their leaves before I brought them back inside. They have perked back up a bit but they still look pretty pathetic at the moment.

I do hope you are right about sudden cold spells being OK. I already lost a bunch to a hard frost and hail earlier this year. We dropped down to 39 degrees on Thursday night but my plants seem to be OK. Keeping fingers crossed for this strange weather (looking like being in the 90's this week).

Of course you don't want to get get frost, so if it looks like it's going to get that cold, bring them in or cover them with a light under the the cover.

Thanks for the responses. I'll definitely be bringing my youngest plants indoors but I am going to let the rest of them stick it out.

I've never had a problem in the spring (overly cautious) but everything in my garden survives many frosts in the fall by simply covering it with old bed sheets. I just drape them over the stakes. I sometimes keep my garden going like this for a month after the first frost here in Minnesota. (granted the plants are nice and established by fall)

Back