• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense Naga Jolokia

It's my first year of growing the super hots and I'm confused!
Are there two types? On two big chili sites the pods look like mine, long and thin, but others they are wider like and dimpled like the super hots, anyway here's mine!
NagaJolokia.jpg

Hey Biscombe the best I can tell and i`m still new is--There are different variants of the same basic plant.They origionally came from different regions hence changing there names. I`ve got dorset nagas,bhut jolokia and naga jolokia going.The people here will get you straight but watch out for any of them.I`ve never heard of a tame one!

Biscombe

You've got PC-1's... They're not the superhots. They're sold under the name Naga Jolokia, but they're not related to Naga Morich or Bhut Jolokias. The name was a marketing ploy to get people to buy PC-1's by accident...

Sorry!

http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/sagajolokia.asp

"Over the past years, several chile varieties surfaced and claimed to be the famous ‘Naga Jolokia’, or ‘Tezpur’ pepper, including Indian PC-1 . This slim red pepper, a member of the Capsicum frutescens species, tasted more like Cayenne, and similar to it, the pepper scored only five-digit Scoville results."

Oh bugger! never mind I have some Dorset nagas and scorpians, thanks for clearing that up, I feel cheated now, wish I could remember where I bought them!

It wasn't really a marketing ploy originally since the pc-1 were called naga jolokia long before we had nagas morich and bhuts available here, but the seed companies usually take full advantage of the name game.

Biscombe,
Naga Jolokia or PC-1 is C.Frutescens those are mild in heat like Cayenne peppers ,Naga Morich,Dorset Naga,Bhut Jolokia,Bih Jolokia,Seven pod(pots),Trinidad Scoorpion those are the super hots & they are all C.Chinense.

Back