• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Naga Jolokia?

I picked these up yesterday at a local Hispanic Market. The cashier didn't know how much to charge for them, she just said they were really expensive and charged me $4.99 for them.

Are they just Bhut Jolokia?

IMG_6874.jpg

IMG_6872.jpg

IMG_6873.jpg

I am new to growing and was also wondering,

is there a difference between Naga and Bhut?

Whatever you bought, you should:
  • split the biggest one open
  • use the rest for your consumption
  • plant the seeds next season
  • and good luck growin', but luck has nothing to do with it

I am new to growing and was also wondering,

is there a difference between Naga and Bhut?

Whatever you bought, you should:
  • split the biggest one open
  • use the rest for your consumption
  • plant the seeds next season
  • and good luck growin', but luck has nothing to do with it

If by naga you mean, naga morich then yes that is a different pepper than the bhut jolokia. It is in the same family as the bhut but is generally smaller than bhuts. It does have about the same heat level as bhuts but from what I heard it is easier to grow and is more prolific than bhut jolokia.

As for naga jolokia, I believe that is a synonym for bhut jolokia (I'm not 100% sure on that though).

Bhutt Jolokia they are,theres also Bih Jolokia and Dorset Naga.Theres lots ones with mixed up names and `Ghost` pepper is another for the bhutt family,as in brazil some confision with local names used for some peppers can add more names to what is a confused bunch of peppers names. :)

If In your in the U.K you can buy bhutts From Larger Tesco`s about a three pack for £0.80.p/$1.00 and produced in the u.k and there good quality.

Naga(nagaland India) jolokia(chile/pepper) really means pepper/chile from nagaland, and there are several chiles that originate there. Its best to specify what type of jolokia otherwise you could get dissapointed by a pc-1/tezpur type like many of us have in the past

Naga(nagaland India) jolokia(chile/pepper) really means pepper/chile from nagaland, and there are several chiles that originate there. Its best to specify what type of jolokia otherwise you could get dissapointed by a pc-1/tezpur type like many of us have in the past

+1000

In Bangladesh they are known as Naga chillis because the original chillis came from the Naga Hills where they have been grown for many generations. They are also now grown in Assam in huge quantities from seed originating again in the Naga hills. There is a reason for them being called Naga chillis.
The first time they where known in the west was That the bangladeshi community had been growing it for decades in the uk and a few chili heads discoverd them in late 1999,but they came to public fame when
Joy and Michael Michaud in 2006 showed there Dorset naga to the world..

``The Michauds believe that the Dorset Naga, the naga morich, the bhut jalakai, the raja mirchi, and other landrace naga varieties, (all C. chinense peppers) from that region, North Bangladesh/North East India, may all be related.`` as we no now. :mouthonfire:

Back