smokers My X-Mas Smoker

My wife doesn't like that 55 gallon drum in the garage I plan to make a UDS of. So here's the "PDS" she gave me for Christmas. It is 75 cm high and 45 cm in diameter.

IMG_9510.jpg

IMG_9511.jpg

IMG_9512.jpg

Nice gift! But if you read this carefully, it was a calculated gift, so you'd toss your 55 gal! :shocked:
:lol:

thehotpepper.com said:
Nice gift! But if you read this carefully, it was a calculated gift, so you'd toss your 55 gal! :shocked:
:lol:

Exactly! But I will try to make her addicted to smoked food. Then we will NEED the big one when the whole family is around. Usually we are about 15 people then...:lol:

Armadillo said:

Plug that "vent" on the lid up permanently. You don't need it, and it'll only serve to allow an excessive amount of heat and smoke to escape....even when "closed"....and you don't want that ever.

Metal duct-work tape should do nicely, I think.

paulky_2000 said:
Plug that "vent" on the lid up permanently. You don't need it, and it'll only serve to allow an excessive amount of heat and smoke to escape....even when "closed"....and you don't want that ever.

Metal duct-work tape should do nicely, I think.
Not true, you need the damper for flow to control heat and smoke and to pull it all the way to the top. If you close it you could put the fire out or just have badly smoked food since it escaped from lower in the smoker.

I open my damper just enough to keep the smoke from leaking everywhere and just coming out of the upper regions of the smoker.

thehotpepper.com said:
Not true, you need the damper for flow to control heat and smoke and to pull it all the way to the top. If you close it you could put the fire out or just have badly smoked food since it escaped from lower in the smoker.

My brinkmann smoker didn't have a vent in the lid and I never had any trouble with it. Then again, it also drew air in from the bottom around the fire.....perhaps this design is different.

pappywith4 said:
I open my damper just enough to keep the smoke from leaking everywhere and just coming out of the upper regions of the smoker.
Exactly. :)

paulky_2000 said:
My brinkmann smoker didn't have a vent in the lid and I never had any trouble with it. Then again, it also drew air in from the bottom around the fire.....perhaps this design is different.
ECBs are usually modded.

Back