• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

video My Super Hot Pepper Video Series

I joined the forum today to share my video series that details the growth of varieties of Super Hot Peppers.

I really hope you enjoy them. I always enjoy feedback!

I am almost a month into growth on most of the varieties and there have been multiple videos. Here they are in order of release.

Day One
https://www.youtube....h?v=MDSEjlLmuRs

Day 10
https://www.youtube....h?v=i3APN2LUlA8

Day 11 and 14
https://www.youtube....h?v=0qO38PYtbIs

Day 17
https://www.youtube....h?v=5v5G51cTKcg

Day 21
https://www.youtube....h?v=8Nb3pS4oRbk

Oh, the varieties currently growing are:
Aji Chombo
Butch T
Trinidad Moruga
Yellow Moruga
Peach Habenero
Chocolate Habenero

Newly Planted:
Scotch Bonnet

Very nice, great videos. You have yourself another subscriber!

I am also starting a small video log of my (in comparison to yours) minuscule pepper project, subscribe to me if you want to!

Looking forward to seeing your updates!

Nice video's we are about of week apart from planting so watching these videos gives me a good idea on how my plants should look, http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM7GI-GmjGqN3GHI44xfGeg my logs so far but being my first year growing I did not think to make a video of me planting them and showing seeds. I just ran into my first problem of the year and some of my plants got sunburn. Anyways I look forward to the new videos when they come out!

Hello chili heads! It's been a while since I updated this series. Wanted to give you guys some new videos in case you haven't subscribed and missed the updates:

Day 42:

Day 49:

More videos coming soon!

Nice vids Blaze. To answer your question of what to do with them, cut them in half and deseed then put them in a dehydrator and dry them out. Then run them through a coffee grinder and make powder.
You decide how course or fine you want it to be by how long you grind it.
Think of the cayenne red pepper powder you buy in spice jars. It comes out just like that but (depending on which peppers of course) much hotter and better flavor.
Oh and the seeds? Well, you can just send those my way haha!!

Thanks for the very entertaining videos Blaze... I have really enjoyed watching them. I think your regular and consistent updates will be very beneficial to growers with less experience, so thank you for your contribution. However, one of the things I thought would make the series more useful is if you included more details about your process.

Comments:

- It stood out to me that you call your ajis "aw-jees." It surprised me since you mention in one of the videos that you work with several pepper-growing Mexicans. Aji is Spanish for "chili." In Spanish, the "J" is pronounced like the "H" is pronounced in English, so Aji is pronounced "aw-hee"

- You asked about your early blossoms. Peppers produce blossoms when under stress (maybe the result of your pesticide treatment that is effecting some of your plants, or other conditions), but also, many of those plants will produce blossoms that never come to fruition on their initial round or two of flowers. Totally normal behavior. I wouldn't expect pods from the first set of flowers or two.

- Scrufy has a great suggestion about how to use your peppers. Pods come in batches, and most of us like to have access to piquance year-round despite the fact that pods have a very limited shelf-life. For those pods you are not able to enjoy fresh, I think drying and powdering them is the best way to go. I disagree with his suggestion of de-seeding the pods before you powder them though. The seeds actually contain no capsaicin, the capsaicin protein is primarily expressed by the uterus aspect of the plant, which is the spongy material in the center of the pod. However, due to anatomical proximity, the seeds are often coated with a great deal of capsaicin. If piquance is a desirable outcome, you should not de-seed the chilies before powdering them because you risk substantially reducing the pungency of the final product by doing so. I use a simple, cheap, hand-held electric coffee grinder (available for $10-20 at most retail outlets) to make powders. It will macerate the pods, seeds and all, into a fine, consistent powder suitable for cooking and seasoning.

It seems like your plants are enjoying vegetative growth about 50% greater than my own. It's not surprising to me, since it seems like you are a professional horticulturist (not to mention I have been struggling with a nasty spider mite infestation this season), so I'd like to know some more details about your grow-op.

- Light cycle (time, intensity, wavelength)
- Soil composition
- Feeding schedule (how much of what, when, and how often)
- Ventilation (I've heard you got some nice air movement in that joint)
- Approach to pest control (as I alluded to, any specific recommendations on how to combat spider mites would be particularly appreciated)
- What do you plan to do with the plants eventually? Will you be setting them in the ground, or just staying in containers?

Finally, what sort of company do you work for that specializes in growing ornamental peppers and hops? :surprised:

Sorry... not trying to ask you to write a dissertation on how to grow peppers. I just thought they were great videos, and I think they would be useful on top of being entertaining if you provided some details on just how you are doing it.

Best of luck on the remainder of your first super hot season, you're doing a great job and I'm sure you'll have an incredibly fruitful season. And if you have any need for any more seeds next season, I'd be happy to help you out (at last count, I have 65 different varieties going this season :onfire: )

Wow, I feel like I have a lot of explaining to do! It's good though. :)

I just realized the Aji (Aw-hee) thing the other day. My varieties are separate than the other guys at work. They would probably make fun of me if they knew I was calling it an Aji Chombo all along. They actually have about 100 pepper plants in one of the houses that are much smaller than mine. I think I may be starting more seeds yet this season if I can find space!

All the peppers have now blossomed (including the 3 week late scotch bonnet), and all but the Chocolate Habs, and Butch T now have some form of fruit. Today I counted 1 Moruga, 2 peach habs, 2 yellow scorps, and about 25 aji chombos. In fact the Aji's should start changing color any day now I'm thinking, one of them is already larger than most habs ive seen in the store. I expect a pleasant surprise Monday.

I'm going to be looking into powders, hot sauces, etc.... I think I may need to invest in a food dehydrator!

I've left out the details mainly because I don't know a lot of them! The lights are some form of incandescent bulb. Between the sun and the bulbs it may be an almost 24 hour light cycle. I'll check about that tomorrow actually. They aren't directly under the bulbs... Off to the side where its mostly dark at night with ambient light.

Soil is BM8 dirt mixed with perlite, vermiculite, a chicken fertilizer mix, and a small amount of fungicide. Unsure of the exact ratio, but we use it for all of our plants in the greenhouses.

We are primarily a hop propagator, providing to home brewers and hopyards in Michigan and throughout the country. The pepper thing is just my hobby. I got the idea from my coworkers. They decided to share their piquens and manzanos last year... So I decided to grow a few for them to try this year. :)

For ventilation we have fans and the sides of the greenhouses open. In my video for day 98 you will see the side of the house open.

This is probably a bad feeding cycle. But to be honest, I'm not the only one who waters the peppers. I get them whenever they look dry, but its possible that someone else gives them a drink from time to time. They are probably getting 4 out of 5 waters as a 17-3-17 fertilizer mix with pond water.

The plants will probably be staying in these pots, they wont survive the Michigan winter, and if I want to multi year these, I will have to bring them inside in the fall. I may start fresh again next year though, since I never trimmed these plants, and the Ajis especially are already quite massive. I can't imaging how big they would be in a years time. It seems if I want to grow them year round, I should aim for a shorter stockier bush.

Pest control is not under my control. Although I think the original spray for affids was the only thing they got sprayed on them... We haven't had a bad spider mite infestation this year yet. Although I'm sure they will come eventually. We use some sort of grease and soap that we coat the leaves of the plants with. It suffocates the mites and doesn't seem to affect any of the plants at all.. Plus its mostly left over cooking grease, so other than the slightly unpleasant smell, its pretty safe. It doesn't eliminate spider mites... It simply contains them. Some people apparently swear by other bugs to control the mites, lady bugs are one example.

Day 91:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qanOck-LMSg

Great looking peppers! I'm also living in Michigan, so this series is great for me. I was just wondering if there are any more videos in the series?

Keep up the good work!

Peppers are looking great! 

Although you clearly have a lot of experience growing plants, I am very impressed with your prowess at growing chiles considering it is your first season.

I am curious at to why if you already realize that you are going to have more pods than you can use, you are planning on planting 100-150 more plants?

The second week in August, we have the local block party in my neighborhood in Chicago.  We set up a booth called "Chiles for Children" where we sell extra fruit and powders to raise money for a school and clinic we support in Haiti.

Maybe you will consider donating some of your extra fruit to our fundraiser.

HwyBill, well the simple answer on that one, is because I had a handful of varieties I wanted to try to grow. I know at first I wont have trouble getting rid of some of the peppers. But, yes... I do think eventually I will have way to many. I have some salsa, hotsauces, and rubs planned right now. That being said, when it gets closer to fall, I may actually have a large number of chilis that I could donate. I'll have to play it by ear at this point, but I will definitely keep you in mind.

cactusMD, yeah I agree. I'm not the most knowledgeable of best video host to be honest. In fact up until this series, I had never spoke on camera on purpose before. I'm still kind of new to this whole, filming myself, and filming a series kind of thing... Although I will try to make it better over time. Right now I don't want to give a ton of advice, because I'm still learning myself. I definitely don't want to give bad advice!

Day 112:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FZZFUGoGvk

Back