• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense My Peach Habaneros have no heat!!

ive just picked the first few pods of my peach hab plant .... and thus bit into one ttry them seeing as though ive never grown them before....

Horror!!!!!

there is no heat whatsoever in them!!! the seeds have a very slight hint of heat but the flesh is completely heatless!!

i will put up a photo of the mature pod soon but here is a pic of the pods still green.. they have matured to a beautiful lightpeach colour......

the plant is around 3 foot tall with prolific pod growth on it..

DSCF3279.jpg

DSCF3292.jpg

ive just picked the first few pods of my peach hab plant .... and thus bit into one ttry them seeing as though ive never grown them before....

Horror!!!!!

there is no heat whatsoever in them!!! the seeds have a very slight hint of heat but the flesh is completely heatless!!

i will put up a photo of the mature pod soon but here is a pic of the pods still green.. they have matured to a beautiful lightpeach colour......

the plant is around 3 foot tall with prolific pod growth on it..

DSCF3279.jpg

DSCF3292.jpg

What was the origin of your Peach Hab plant?

Heat in the pods is from plant stress ie. Heat, amount of light the plant gets, as well as general growing conditions of the plant

One is be sure there planted in a sunny spot

Second would be to cut back on watering

Third would be to leave peppers on the plant till fully matured

Fourth would be to reframe from using nitrogen rich fertilizer, nitrogen promotes foliage growth.(reducing yield) You want to feed with a potassium , phosphorus based fertilizer. (fish emulsion, kelp, rock phosphate) These help in the growth of the actual chili peppers.

Fifth would be to add espon salt to the soil.(@ 1-2 TBSP per gallon of soil) Peppers require a little more magnesium and sulfur to grow.( I foliar feed peppers with espon salt mixed with water @1-2TBSP per gallon, when needed)

I have also read that a slight acidic ph level of 6.5 can also effect the heat in peppers. Peppers grow well in a ph range of 6.5 to neutral 7.0

It is said that capsaicin is a chilies natural defense and that by stressing the plant, you get hotter peppers. So try cutting back on watering.
hope this helped

aww that sucks man!!! same s*it happened to me last year but not with any super hot variety just Serranos and Jalapenos!

theres no problems with position, watering etc. they (were) right next to some red savina and bhut jolokia plants and they are both scalding hot! im wondering whether its a strain thats not supposed to have heat......

Sometimes first pods are a bit light in the heat department. Keep the faith they may get hotter ;)

i just tried another one and there is still no heat in the flesh however the seeds have a bit of a sting to them... there is a magnificent aftertaste of banana?? and almost something like strawberries in the flesh though...

The first pods of my peach hab were the same way. Only heat was in the placenta and not much there. They seemed to gradually get hotter. My plant ended up dying. Seemed to be very sensitive to ph levels. Hope you have better luck than me.

actually harry that looks remarkably similar to mine!! ive decided to use them for pickling as there are way too many to waste!!

I'd go back to Harry's question...where are the seeds from? Were they ordered from a reputable source? If they were open pollinated they could be a cross which could explain the issue. If you did puchase them from a dealer I would contact them and let them know what is going on because they might still have seeds from that lot that they're selling to others with the same results...and no self respecting chilihead wants a heatless habanero!

I've seen a more or less heatless Pink Habanero on Fatalii.net that ripen to a peach colour.

The shape of your Peach Habaneros appears to be different to the Pink Habanero on fatalii.net.

Thats is what i thought before i read your comment! I grow those pink habaneros for 2 years now. I love them but no heat at all. And mine looks exactly like the ones he posted pictures on here.!
SO my bet is those are pink habs. As unripe they are identical with the ones i grew.

//oscar

Peach and Pink habs tend to have the lowest heat of all of the habs in general (except for the ones that have been fiddled with on purpose). Make sure you wait til they change color or you won't be getting the full heat anyway. They build most of their heat during the green phase so you could just be picking them too early. I wouldn't plan on getting scorchers but they should pick up a bit at least.

im eating them ripe. they have a very pastel peach colour to them.
IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

I was given this plant as a seedling as a gift. it said that it was a "yellow habanero"......

My old mom wanted a Pepper without heat.
So I got some seeds from a local friend, and was told that it was a Peach Habanero without heat.

And it was completely without heat, I did not think it tasted very good, maybe because I expect the heat when mention Habanero

DSC_0031-1.jpg

DSC_0027-1.jpg

thats definetly what ive got... once i got over the horror of it not having heat i actually really enjoyed the flavour. very very fruity with that distinctive hab flavour. just no heat!

Back