• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

greenhouse My new "greenhouse"

It's almost time for my plants to make their way outside but the temperature isn't quite right yet. I'm desperately running out of shelf and light space inside so I got a little something to transition some plants outside a little early.

I have a temperature probe in there, it's 15.5 C in the greenhouse, about 7 outside. It's cloudy and drisly out and will be the same tomorrow. I will start hardening off tomorrow and move as many plants into this as I can. At night I will bring the whole thing inside from the deck. Sound like an OK plan?

thanx.I haven't seeen one locally yet.I'm now using a lite tarp over my pinic table w/ the benches turned upside down to make a frame.I have to untarp it daily when sunny and recover at night.

I've got 4 of 5 of those mini greenhouses and there are several problems I'll point out. First is there is no ventilation when closed up so they can heat up very fast and cause lots of problems. They also need to be secured well somehow since they blow over very easily. Lastly, take your plastic covers indoors in the winter, they shatter easily when frozen

Thanx Potawie, is the cover a thin vinyl?does the zipper open from the top or bottom? sorry so many questions.

Thanks for the info, Potawie. I'll be watching the temperature closely that's for sure. It might be worth cutting a few vents in the plastic too.

WGB, the zipper is in the front of mine. This cost me $30 and I don't expect a whole lot from it; it will help me along though.

I use one very similar to that. I have a fixture laying inside across the top that has 3 cfls in it. It does great inside, but requires a lot of attention in the sun.

Here is the setup I posted about. I only use it indoors anymore and I think it works well there.

gh.jpg

Good eye for catching that. I only drop the curtain down a couple times a day to increase the humidity. I also have an oscillating fan on them for a bit during the day as well. I try to expose them to a little bit of everything since it's not the warmest of weather yet here. Had frost the last 2 nights, and it will be a while till I need to start hardening them off.

I learned my lesson with the fungus and mold last year when I first started my seeds in there. I try to err on the dry side of things now.

Back