• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking My first smoke

apple chips with kingsford
minion in uds
IMG_20141207_092418.jpg

pork butt and rack of spare ribs

rubbed 2am
butt on smoker at 10am
IMG_20141207_094830.jpg

ribs on smoker at 12:00pm

foiled at 2:30 pm
IMG_20141207_142332.jpg

IMG_20141207_142620.jpg

temp was good at first
IMG_20141207_094814.jpg

now running a bit hot <,<
IMG_20141207_142316.jpg

about 2 hours to go.

I'll defer to the more seasoned smokers, but in case they don't come in during your cook ... I think the ribs can probably handle 275F just fine ...

I think you'll be stoked w/ the final result, even if your temps get a little whacky for a bit.

I'm doing my next brisket at 325F, for instance, I think ...

I saw conflicting posts recently, one said the temp at the grate was higher than the dome, the other said the opposite ...

I guess it probably depends on a lot of things - vent openness, diffuser, etc ...

Can't wait to see the results ...

I smoked the same exact thing yesterday and planned on posting pics tomorrow. Ribs and butt came out great. I had the opposite problem instead of it being too hot I was having a hard time keeping it hot enough cause it was cool here. Yours are looking good so far I'm sure they'll turnout great.

grantmichaels said:
I'll defer to the more seasoned smokers, but in case they don't come in during your cook ... I think the ribs can probably handle 275F just fine ...

I think you'll be stoked w/ the final result, even if your temps get a little whacky for a bit.

yeah i'm not too worried, amazingribs always talks about doing it a little higher and faster anyway.

Looks good to me!

The bark turned a little charred, you can soften it back with some sauce and chow down. :)

Welcome to a whole new world of awesome fun brother!

You're first cook looks awesome. Time to start planning the next one!

Back