• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

My first Sausages

Just finished my very first batches of Sausages. They seemed to turn out good and ended up with none bursting. One thing I did not count on was the smell. My house really smelled like a butchers shop!
Here is a piccy
picture019ob7.jpg

The ones on the left are Spanish Chizoro(with St Martins Pepper), and the ones on the right are Honey Macadamia Pork Sausages.
Just a bit excited that another idea has come to fruit.

Micca

Looks tasty! You must show the pics of it cooked too!

Micca302 said:
Just a bit excited that another idea has come to fruit.
I would have used a pun for that one...like, "Another project has been...wrapped up."

Looks good. I've been making a lot of sausages lately too, its actually become another addiction for me

imaguitargod said:
Looks tasty! You must show the pics of it cooked too!

I would have used a pun for that one...like, "Another project has been...wrapped up."

I wish i had thought of that one:cool:
Didn't think about taking a piccy cooked, might have to on the next bbq.

Thanks for all the comments and i should have spelt it "Chorizo"....doh!
Starting to get the bug for sausage making, now need to think of some Hab/Naga style sausages.

POTAWIE said:
Looks good. I've been making a lot of sausages lately too, its actually become another addiction for me

Hey Potawie, noticed you have the sausage making bug too.
Can a newby ask you a question? Just wandering if you are using a mincer with the sausage making attachment. I brought a Sunbeam one. It had thick and thin attachments for making Sausages, but they are tapered. I am having difficulty and only able to thread a small amount of casing on the tube. I read somewhere afterwards that there are ones with no taper. Have you had this problem?

Thanks
Micca

I have a similar grinder and similar problem, but the better ones have tubes with no taper. I also recently bought a sausage stuffer, but am already thinking about getting a better one. Now that I'm getting into it I really want to be able to stuff without grinding(or re-grinding) so I can make sausages with some chunks of meat or course ground(or mixed course and fine together) which adds definition.

He Micca (or is that Kel;)),

Have you thought about veal, zucchini and garlic? Maybe some little boys for Sharon and Kim?:lol:

Where'd you find the sausage stuffer? Fountain Gate? Was it exxie?

RS

POTAWIE said:
I have a similar grinder and similar problem, but the better ones have tubes with no taper. I also recently bought a sausage stuffer, but am already thinking about getting a better one. Now that I'm getting into it I really want to be able to stuff without grinding(or re-grinding) so I can make sausages with some chunks of meat or course ground(or mixed course and fine together) which adds definition.

Yeah seemed to be a bit of a setback. Have also seen Sausage stuffers and wandered what they were like.
I think you are on the way to becoming a Sausage connoisseur there Potawie.

ring sting said:
He Micca (or is that Kel;)),

Have you thought about veal, zucchini and garlic? Maybe some little boys for Sharon and Kim?:lol:

Where'd you find the sausage stuffer? Fountain Gate? Was it exxie?

RS
Must have missed something here Ring Sting, but the idea of Veal, Zucchini and Garlic sounds excellent.

Micca, those snags do look tasty, between reading about them and the jerky recipes on this site, I dont seem to be very creative! Mate, I'd bring the beer to get a couple of them on some bread.

Micca302 said:
Must have missed something here Ring Sting, but the idea of Veal, Zucchini and Garlic sounds excellent.

Sorry micca, is a joke, no offence intended.:oops:

It's a Kath and Kim reference. Kath Knight nee Day is married to Kel, a butcher, who has a penchant for creating sausages. his shop is at "Fountain Gate" mall.

To all you folks in the US, Kel will be Phil in the remake being made to air beginning October 9 2008.

Sharon is being renamed too, and "little boys" is a nick name for "footy franks" -- 2 inch hotdogs.🤥

RS

Micca302 said:
Hey Potawie, noticed you have the sausage making bug too.
Can a newby ask you a question? Just wandering if you are using a mincer with the sausage making attachment. I brought a Sunbeam one. It had thick and thin attachments for making Sausages, but they are tapered. I am having difficulty and only able to thread a small amount of casing on the tube. I read somewhere afterwards that there are ones with no taper. Have you had this problem?

Thanks
Micca

What is a small amount? I can usually get about 8 ft, hog casings are very pliable especially soaked with a bit of vinegar --

ring sting said:
Micca, those snags do look tasty, between reading about them and the jerky recipes on this site, I dont seem to be very creative! Mate, I'd bring the beer to get a couple of them on some bread.

Sorry micca, is a joke, no offence intended.:oops:

It's a Kath and Kim reference. Kath Knight nee Day is married to Kel, a butcher, who has a penchant for creating sausages. his shop is at "Fountain Gate" mall.

To all you folks in the US, Kel will be Phil in the remake being made to air beginning October 9 2008.

Sharon is being renamed too, and "little boys" is a nick name for "footy franks" -- 2 inch hotdogs.🤥

RS
aahh now i get it....., thanks Ring Sting. Havn't watched Kath and Kim for ages. I need to pay more attention(well, thats what my teachers always said).

LUCKYDOG said:
What is a small amount? I can usually get about 8 ft, hog casings are very pliable especially soaked with a bit of vinegar --
I am using Collagen Casings and can only get around 4 Sausages at a time. I thought about Hog, but the lady at the Butcher supplies recommended Collagen for newbies. Maybe i should try some hog, thanks.

I butcher my own deer, and have a meat grinder with a sausage stuffer built into it. I've always wanted to make Venison sausages. I'll have to make some this fall. The only thing stopping me is either an arrow, or a bullet through the "Breadbasket".:hell: I want to make some Sun Dried Tomato/basil ones, and something with habs in it. I'll have to think of what to add with it. Those sausages look tasty as well by the way.

Back