• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

My babies are dying

I started these in February. I transferred them to bigger pots two weeks ago and they were doing great. I noticed this morning that a few look sickly. I use a spray bottle with mostly water and a bit of fish emulsion and epsom salt. Also I no longer know the variety of these as the ink on the markers faded. The pic with the seeds are what I planted. I think the ones in question are the maruga scorpions 

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 84
  • B74A9840-00BE-48D2-B3EB-05DE71D45158.jpeg
    B74A9840-00BE-48D2-B3EB-05DE71D45158.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 78
I hate to say this, but if those were started in February, and that is what they look like today, they are not doing well at all. Frankly, they all look stunted.

Could you explain your setup; what lighting are you using, what potting mix, how big are the pots, how often are you watering, how warm is it, etc.?

These are in a bedroom with southern exposure. They’re in a little greenhouse I bought at Lidl grocery store,a light I  bought at walmart, they’re on a heating pad. I bought a seed starter kit at Walmart. They came up in week. Then they grew in there under the light and on the heating pad for six weeks then I transferred them to the pots they are in now. They’re in a mixture of garden soil,topsoil,potting mix,earthworm casings and sand. I water them once a week and squirt them twice a week .

alkhall said:
I hate to say this, but if those were started in February, and that is what they look like today, they are not doing well at all. Frankly, they all look stunted.

Could you explain your setup; what lighting are you using, what potting mix, how big are the pots, how often are you watering, how warm is it, etc.?

Pot them up to a bigger container. Harden them off and get them into some real sun. Don't spray them w fish or epsom right now. They need to be loved and to grow naturally.

I have them out on the front porch now. It’s sunny and 77. I was going to move them to bigger pots next weekend but the forecast calls for lows in the 30s still. Here’s the planter I built for them. The pots are five gallon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 77
WOW!!!!!

The dichotomy of pots. The seedling pots absolutely blow while the 5 gallon setup is sick AF!!!!

See how those seedlings are leggy and tall? They've needed better light and are stretching to get it. I'd wait on the pot up if the temps are going to be down again. Just move them every morning when the temp i s good outside. If it were me I'd then move them into the shade before noon so they don't get scorched.

But absolutely stop spraying them with fish and epsom.

So, approximately eight weeks since germination?

I was thinking not nearly enough light, but I really do not think they are too stretched (I have seen much worse), and I agree about not spraying them, that might be what is killing them.

Personally, I believe the soil mix might not be the best option either. A high quality potting mix (I use Fox Farms Ocean Forest for my seedlings) will need no additonal fertilization, and should keep the seedlings healthy and well-fed for at least two months.

Also, I would hold off on planting outside for a few more weeks.

Hey, Jeff, that stack of planters is money!
Those will be beautiful full of peppers!

I have never liked the peat pots. I just couldn't
get the watering dialed in, and just never had
much success with them. Also, I agree with
alkhall and sirex, not spraying with fish emulsion
is a good idea. I think it leave too much residue
on the leaves' surfaces and makes transpiration
difficult, especially with seedlings.

The plants look pretty good, all things considered.
Leaves look healthy, just a bit light. I think they
will perk up. Good luck, buddy!

Any advice for this guy? It’s a reaper I brought in last fall.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 75
sirex said:
But absolutely stop spraying them with fish and epsom.
There absolutely isn't enough absolutely in the world to describe how frustrating it is, that people keep doing this - especially new growers, who have learned it from experienced growers. Old growers do it out of habit, having never really understood exactly what it is that they're supposedly accomplishing.
Feeding through the media - a well built or bought media - is the best advice. There are very limited cases where one should EVER foliar feed. And Epsom (magnesium) supplementation shouldn't be needed, if a complete nutrient is used. More is not more better.

Back