• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

My 2019 Growing Season lessons

This growing season is coming to a end here in Bedford New York, nights are getting to 48F and days around 70F. Lessons learned this year?
I grew Carolina Reapers, Ghost Peppers in 5 gallon buckets. The soil I used was one I found at Lowes, "Sta Green" that has a built in slow release fertilizer.  The only additional things I did was put used coffee and tea grounds in the soil, crushed egg shells, left over fish bones from dinner I crushed. What I did different this year was my water schedule. I gave each plant 1-2 gallons of water each day. The end result: More peppers than I have ever had before!
Another test I did was oven roast green Ghost peppers and red ones in separate pans to see if there was any real noticeable difference in the heat. I did not notice any difference.  I also chopped a green one and mixed with fresh diced Vidalia onions, tomatoes and it was also very hot and not bad taste. With that said, I do prefer the red for appearance reasons.
I am by no means a pepper expert, I am just sharing my experience.
Now that my growing season is over, I am doing the Hydroponic thing now with Ghost,Trinidad,Carolina Reaper. I have never tried or grown the Trinidad.
Thanks for reading fellow pepper growers!

Back