• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

music Musical growing

My mom asked why there was music playing in my bedroom and i wasn't there... i replied "oh, it's for the plants" and she called me loony and told me I'm out of control and need to find another hobby.
I laughed, and told her it's a real thing; scientifically proven even. between that and my compost teas my plants have exploded with growth and are a luscious forest green.
to quote "charlie the unicorn"
"shun the non-believer! shuuuuuuuuun!"
:P

i found some awesome beer and super cheap wine at trader joes... it may or may not have spurred this thread.

I thought it was singing to the plants. Due to the carbon dioxide coming from our lungs...idk about this music theory. I'm going to have to check that out lol

Mostly classical and acoustic guitar. A little bit of dub step because its in the right frequency range but repetitive beats can be harmful. I heard about this about 5 years ago... Mythbusters actually did a special on it about 2 years back. They concluded playing rock and roll was the best but I've heard stringed instruments in general.
3/5, I'm sure the co2 plays a part but from what I understand our tonal range of our voices can activate growth genes in the plants much how 720nm infra-red does.

Wow, Scoville - I loved that video, thanks for sharing it. I still talk to my 'ladies' every morning and give them a bit of music, so I was a bit disappointed when he said the plants don't respond to music. That's his research. I know my 'ladies' know I'm there!!

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11032-007-9122-x
Above is a scholarly article about how sound affects plants.

Those people seemed a little eccentric, very interesting though. The funny thing is my mom sent me that same link this morning after she saw it.

Back