• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

harvesting Moyboy's Harvest Photos

Now that the temperatures are staying nice and high and we aren't getting weeks and weeks of rain, my plants are starting to say hello to the world....

My first harvest isn't hugh and it is mostly cherry style tomatoes, But this is only the begining...:hell:

STA600892.jpg

The tomatoes are cherry toms, golden gem Hybrids, sprite & yellow pear. The really small red ones are the sprites. They say they are idea for pots but my isn't liking it.....My mother has a sprite that I gave her and she put it in the ground and it is staying small but it is going off in a major way....I recommend this tomato to anyone that has a small space of ground that they can spare, it is well worth it.....

The chillis are Thai bangcok uprights, chocolate habs, Jals (red and green), hungarian hot wax & Lillac Cayenne.

I have pineapple toms ripening and also a oxeheart tom. I also have chilli fire, yellow habs, black pearl, goats weed, Dorset naga, Naga Morich, Early sunsation Hybrid(sweet pepper), chocolate beauty (Sweet pepper), Super Heavyweight Hybrid (SP) and Bianca Hybrid (SP) not far from Giving fruit...

Will keep you updated......

How do the sprite toms taste? I recieved several free packs of sprite tomato from Tomatogrowers but I've never grown them because I'm sort of picky when it comes to tomatoes, especially determinate types. Let me know how they work out for you moyboy, maybe I'll give them a try.

looks like you got the makings of a great sauce/salsa there moyboy...

P...personally, I don't like the sprite tomatos because of their small size...they taste pretty good tho and sometimes can be a little tart...

Looks like the start of something really good moyboy, good luck with the rest of the season.

I also got some free sprite seeds and was wanting more info on them. Don't like the "tart" taste AJ mentioned. I like my toms sweeeeet.

Thanks guys, As you have all commented, I got the sprites free from tomatogrowers.com.

Mine are smaller than average due to the slightly smaller pot the plant is in (3.5 gallon) and due to me not watering it for a few days a while back and it didn't like me very much after that...and has struggled to recover....

IMO, the Sprite is a good tomato for its size. It stays very compact but produces on a very large scale. It is a good fruit to just pop a few while you are playing in the garden, and my step daughter loves them cut in half and grilled on toast....I find them good in salads...And as AJ said, they can be a little tart, but only just a little...

patrick said:
Looks like the start of something really good moyboy, good luck with the rest of the season.

I also got some free sprite seeds and was wanting more info on them. Don't like the "tart" taste AJ mentioned. I like my toms sweeeeet.

If you are a sweet tom lover then check out the Golden Gem Hybrid (Tomatogrower No. #6818). It has a 10% sugar content....and is so sweet and lovely.....The kids have been known to fight over the last ripe one on the tree.....:lol:, and it's not all that often you see kids fighting over something healthy... and another good one that I also grow is the yellow pear tomato....It is known as the "garden candy" (Tomatogrowers No. #5862)...

I've grown many cherry and grape types and my favorite by far is the sungold. This year I'm going to try growing a dehybridized "open pollinated" version but I can't see it tasting quite as good. I have to thank habman once again for turning me on to these, although I don't know if he's still around.

looks good, 1st harvests are always great no matter the ammount. because you've been waiting for along time to pick some fresh chiles or other veggies. congrats.

my sprite seeds got intercepted by AQIS (Aussie Quarantine Nazis). I had ordered a few capsicum varieties as well as Ring Of Fire cayennes from tomatogrowers so they confiscated the whole lot! after several emails I found them to be quite reasonable and they released my seeds but I told them to burn the sprites as they were freebies anyway. of the capsicum seeds, one batch looked greyish so I don't know how well they'll do. I only really ordered them to give tomatogrowers a try to see how they went with postage/quality/customer service/speed etc in case I need to use them again - so far so good, I'm just concerned that you can't seem to send them an email (also the discoloured seeds have me a little concerned).

anyway - back on topic:
I have picked about 30 cherry toms from my two plants so far. I also picked about 15 birdhabs (crossed by that evil mad scientist bentalphanerd), 10 or 12 cayennes, and a few small big jims (about 12-15cm in length). I've got literally thousands of buds on my plants and given that we've had plenty of cool nights in Sydney so far I don't imagine I'll suffer too much blossom drop (fingers tightly crossed) so I may be in for a bumper crop.

while watering this morning I found two immature 7pods each about 3cm long that had fallen off their plant. I just ate them for lunch on a couple of leg ham and salad wraps (burritos from the other thread). no heat :( luckily I had some nice fresh cayennes to munch on instead.

chilliman64 said:
my sprite seeds got intercepted by AQIS (Aussie Quarantine Nazis). I had ordered a few capsicum varieties as well as Ring Of Fire cayennes from tomatogrowers so they confiscated the whole lot! after several emails I found them to be quite reasonable and they released my seeds but I told them to burn the sprites as they were freebies anyway. of the capsicum seeds, one batch looked greyish so I don't know how well they'll do. I only really ordered them to give tomatogrowers a try to see how they went with postage/quality/customer service/speed etc in case I need to use them again - so far so good, I'm just concerned that you can't seem to send them an email (also the discoloured seeds have me a little concerned).

anyway - back on topic:
I have picked about 30 cherry toms from my two plants so far. I also picked about 15 birdhabs (crossed by that evil mad scientist bentalphanerd), 10 or 12 cayennes, and a few small big jims (about 12-15cm in length). I've got literally thousands of buds on my plants and given that we've had plenty of cool nights in Sydney so far I don't imagine I'll suffer too much blossom drop (fingers tightly crossed) so I may be in for a bumper crop.

while watering this morning I found two immature 7pods each about 3cm long that had fallen off their plant. I just ate them for lunch on a couple of leg ham and salad wraps (burritos from the other thread). no heat :( luckily I had some nice fresh cayennes to munch on instead.

I got most of my chilli/tomato/capsicum seeds from tomatogrowers.com and I was more than happy with the results, and I was very surprised that the package didn't get stopped by customs. My brother has ordered from them twice and has been stopped both times....

A nice, somewhat sweet tomato is the Red Zebra. About the size of a cueball these things produce almost in Cherry Tomato numbers. Last summer/early fall it was not unusual to pick 2-3 pounds per day from just two plants. The best salsa tomato I have grown is the Green Sausage. Very few seeds or juice, heavy producers (especially for a small, determinate plant) and take up very little garden space. A foot apart may be a tad close but I won't need more than 18" per plant. Got 12 pints of salsa from two plants and last year was not a great year for tomatoes.

Mike

Nice harvest! I have had 2 rounds of picking so far, but eat everything before I remember to take a picture!

Back