• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Mosquito Proof Rain Catch

We live on a well so sometimes water conservation can get critical. I want to build a rain catch to water my plants, but large containers of standing water around here is just asking for a problem. So I want to devise a way (or if anyone knows a product that already exists) to get free rain water and not hordes of blood thirsty skeeters.

I was thinking of covering a large trash can with weed cloth, but i don't know if the bugs will get through it. I figured the weed cloth would also keep a lot of debris out as well.

Anyone here use a rain catch system and have a method to keep the mosquitos away?

Ya, a simple screen should work fine, or put a few drops of soap or oil(horticultural types) in the barrel to suffocate the buggers.

awesome, all the ones i googled claimed to be mosquito proof but i didn't really see how. what keeps them from just flying down the drain spout? Not to mention expensive as hell. I want to try and make my own out of a rubbermaid trash can.

glad to hear some screen is all i need. I'm still toying with the idea of installing it close to my garden instead of off a drain spout from the house. Or would it be more efficient to have one off a drain spout that dumps into a seperate barrel that's close to the garden?

Back