• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Mixology and Cocktails!

My game winning old fashioned.
~2 oz of cherry, orange peel, and clove infused bourbon
~.5 oz of the rye whiskey syrup I posted about earlier
a couple heavy handed shakes of angostura bitters
A homemade maraschino cherry
orange rind
and a splash of seltzer

RYO1lYR.jpg

One of the best drinks I've made so far due to that bourbon.
Only downside is I'm out of that infused bourbon now.

Here's my Jello Shot mixology for the weekend... 
1549320_10101968221385689_3340978047822825308_n.jpg

Left to right:  Vodka Cranberry with a splash of lime juice and lime zest, Vodka Berry with fresh Lemon juice to give it almost a bomb pop flavor, Vodka Punch, Jack n' Cherry Pepsi (my uncle prefers Pepsi to Coke, those are for him), and the end is Mango Margarita with lime juice and zest.  

I have a Whisky pineapple one up my sleeve but no room in the fridge right now. 

Smokenfire's Moscow Mule:

2oz fresh squeezed lime juice
2oz vodka
4 oz homemade ginger ale

Add the vodka and lime juice to a shaker filled with ice.  Shake that hsit up son!  Pour into a glass, drop in a couple ice cubes and top with ginger ale.  

53tdg2.jpg

Look at the bubbles on our ginger ale!  Dat hsit rocks so hard...

In the glass:

jqgu1e.jpg

SmokenFire said:

4 oz homemade ginger ale

HOW? 

(side note, have you ever made it with ginger beer?, side note 2 I sub the vodka for rye and sprinkle some bhut powder in there and it gives it a nice kick)

Rawkstah said:

Make the bug:  

2 tsp ginger - diced
2 tsp turbinado sugar
1 1/2 cup water

Every day for 7 days feed bug by adding 2 tsp ginger and 2 tsp sugar.  Shake to combine and keep closed.  I use a quart mason jar.
By the 7th day the bug should be bubbly/frothy and smell good.

Once you have your bug after the 7th day start the batch:

Dissolve 3 cups turbinado sugar in 10 cups boiling water.  Once dissolved add juice of 4 lemons, and a gallon of room temp water (I use purified).  Allow to come to room temp.  Carefully pour off liquid from bug (if you get some of the sediment it will be a bit cloudy like the above pic - not a big deal imo) and combine with the lemon juice/sugar water.  Mix well and then pour into bottles like the one pictured.  Use a funnel! Allow to rest for 14 days, then refrigerate and enjoy.  

Note:  for extra carbonation add about a tsp of sugar to the bottles before the ginger ale is poured in.   Use high quality bottles or plastic soda bottles - cheap glass can explode, which is a major bummer.    

Final product is a bit tart, sweet and amazing - a complete departure from Shweppes!!  

SmokenFire said:
Make the bug:  

2 tsp ginger - diced
2 tsp turbinado sugar
1 1/2 cup water

Every day for 7 days feed bug by adding 2 tsp ginger and 2 tsp sugar.  Shake to combine and keep closed.  I use a quart mason jar.
By the 7th day the bug should be bubbly/frothy and smell good.

Once you have your bug after the 7th day start the batch:

Dissolve 3 cups turbinado sugar in 10 cups boiling water.  Once dissolved add juice of 4 lemons, and a gallon of room temp water (I use purified).  Allow to come to room temp.  Carefully pour off liquid from bug (if you get some of the sediment it will be a bit cloudy like the above pic - not a big deal imo) and combine with the lemon juice/sugar water.  Mix well and then pour into bottles like the one pictured.  Use a funnel! Allow to rest for 14 days, then refrigerate and enjoy.  

Note:  for extra carbonation add about a tsp of sugar to the bottles before the ginger ale is poured in.   Use high quality bottles or plastic soda bottles - cheap glass can explode, which is a major bummer.    

Final product is a bit tart, sweet and amazing - a complete departure from Shweppes!!
Awesome smoke going to start a batch give it a try!!! :) I've been making homemade root beer for over 30 years have serious addiction!!!!! Make some mean spicy root beer best dam floats on the planet! :)

Disaronno isnt hard liquor. And I bought it for making desserts, not drinking. I just happened to come across a couple recipes that caled for it and gave it a try. If i were going to start using it more as a mixer I'd probably find an alternative.

I Ddidnt buy the hornitos, it was a gift. But that barrel aged stuff is pretty good.

Hard means distilled and alcoholic like hard cider and unlike soft drinks. How is it not hard liquor?

But okay. You get a pass. No Sailor Jerry please.

Templeton Mule...  
2oz templeton rye
juice from half a lime
ginger beer
jalapeno wheel

served over ice, let the jalapeno sit in the glass with the whiskey for a a couple minutes so you really get that flavor! I took the pic when I was halfway through the drink.  Definitely a good summer go to.  I also did a watermelon rye drink with the juice of half a lemon, templeton,  frozen watermelon cubes, some rye syrup and topped it with lemon la croix... no pictures of that

NIRyFrj.jpg

Margarita my way

1 cup tequila 
1 cup triple sec
1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
1 cup water
1/2 cup turbinado sugar

Dissolve the sugar in the water.  Add tequila, triple sec and lime juice.  Serve over ice in a glass with a salted rim.

168xwjt.jpg

Simple syrup sounds way better than water and sugar. ;) Looks good.

Back