• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MisterNo's glog - harvest time :)

I was looking all of this beautiful glogs here, and decided it would be nice to share some info about my log also
icon_smile.gif

Thanks to good people from THP (Ela, SuperHot, Dshlogg) and some shops and ebay sellers), I've managed to collect a nice amount and variaty of hot pepper seeds.

1. Serrano
2. Purrira
3. Numex B. Piquin
4. Georgia Flame
5. Jalapeno M
6. Jalapeno Purple
7. Habanero Mustard
8. Scotch Bonnet Red
9. Habanero Red
10. Habanero Chocolate
11. Habanero Jamaican Hot Ch.
12. Habanero Red Savina
13. Habanero Mustard
14. Aji Habanero
15. Giant Wht Habaneros
16. West Indies Red
17. Black Stinger
18. Bhut Jolokia Chocolate
19. Bhut Jolokia Red
20. Fatalii Yellow
21. Fatalii Red
21. TS Butch
22. 7 Pot Brain Strain
23. Aji Cubanelle

Now, about my setup...
Since I have two jobs nowdays (lack of time) and I currently have a lack of space in my house, I've decided to improvize and try to keep thinga as simple as it gets, and with low budget costs.

For germination I used jiffy coco pellets soaked in chamomile tea. They are in the plastic box on my wifi router with a nice amount of heat and moisture. Temp inside is 26 ºC (78.8 ºF).
First to emerge from the pellets where west indies red, bhut jolokia red and aji habanero, on the sixt day.

Germination went great - I'm only waiting for giant white habs and red savina to come out, all of the others are already transfered to plastic cups, and put under the 32w (150w) Phillips Tornado bulbs (cool white, 6500k).

Weather in Zagreb is getting better, snow is melting, sun is coming out, so I put my plants on the table to soak up the sun in the midllde of the day, and in the afternoon I put them back in the setup box under the bulb. The box is covered all around with aluminium foil to reflect the light.

So far so good
icon_smile.gif

The first two peppers that came out (west indies and bhut jolokia), are also the fastest growers - they are 20 days old and hacve formed 3 pairs of true liefs. The other are mostly growing fine as well.

When they get bigger and the weather stabilizes, I will put them in bigger pots and transfer them to my parents farm, where they will enjoy plenty of sun and fresh air
icon_smile.gif

I've taken a lot of pics of my setups, I will upload them for you to see. This is what I have for now:
Germination set up:
2upzupd.jpg

Pellets:
11v18h4.jpg

Bhut jolokia chocolate, on seventh day from starting:
201udc.jpg

West Indies Red:
1zyu1ps.jpg

Reactions: Ela
Thanks for stopping by Rick :)
Temps were over 12C during the night, I dopn't think it was about that

It's not only that they are not growing, they are also very yellowish:
345n8tt.jpg

14eau88.jpg

I thought it was due to overwatering (my mom takes care of them during the week), but only the chinense seem to be yellow, others are looking great.
Could the yellow color be a sign of a frost damage? Or maybe a nut deficiency?
There is some new green growth on all of them, but they didn't grow for last two weeks, and it was warm weather with a lot of sun, rain and humidity.

Anyways, even though they are yellow and mostly not growing, Brain Strain has put up a few flowers! Not sure what to think about that....
24blq2b.jpg

I put them in bigger pots, some fresh soil and gave them some fertilizer to see how will they do. I didn't transplant Brain Strain, didn't want to stress him while flowering.

Plants that took some hail recovered nicely, none of them was lost :)
Purple Jalapeno
1zeih5l.jpg

They only have a few damaged leaves

Jalapeno M
20a2c6t.jpg

Temps were over 12C during the night, I dopn't think it was about that
It's not only that they are not growing, they are also very yellowish:
I put them in bigger pots, some fresh soil and gave them some fertilizer to see how will they do. I didn't transplant Brain Strain, didn't want to stress him while flowering.

Did you check your soil ph? It might be too acidic. If so, maybe a little Dolomite lime would help. In addition to raising the ph to more neutral, it would add a bit of Magnesium for chlorophyll production.

Plants that took some hail recovered nicely, none of them was lost :) They only have a few damaged leaves

Excellent! I love a story with a happy ending! Cheers!

Hey, Mister! Great to hear that your plants rebounded from the hail storm.
Pepper Guru was right! I don't know what to say about your chinenses - Maybe
Stickman's suggestions would solve the problem; sure worth a try. At any rate,
good growing to you, and here's to pod production!

Did you check your soil ph? It might be too acidic. If so, maybe a little Dolomite lime would help. In addition to raising the ph to more neutral, it would add a bit of Magnesium for chlorophyll production.

Thanks for advice, will se about dolomite lime :)

Do these look familiar to you?
:D
29lb57l.jpg

Hey, Mister! Great to hear that your plants rebounded from the hail storm.
Pepper Guru was right! I don't know what to say about your chinenses - Maybe
Stickman's suggestions would solve the problem; sure worth a try. At any rate,
good growing to you, and here's to pod production!

Thanks for stopping by Paul. Yes, Pepper Guru was right, and so were all of you with support ;)

After some thinking, I've came to conclusion that it might be overwatering that is troubling my chinense. Will try some different stuff on plants, and see how it turns out.
Two plants got new soil and fertilizer
One got fertilizer and epsom salt
One got epsom salt and H2O2
One got only fertilizer.

Just to see the differences, on the next two pictures are two Habanero Red plants, both germinated the same day, treated the same.
jiff9h.jpg

5zmagy.jpg

No, one Big Jim and one Poblano for now.
They were put to germinate on 21th May, took them 11/12 days to germinate, not a record breaker but very fast. There is still plenty of time for this fellows to rise :)

Hey Mr. No glad your plants survived the storm. But i think you were right in the beginning. looks like overwater to me. I overwatered at one point and the Chinense seems to be much more sensitive to it that the others. But if thats not it then i hope you get it worked out!

Thanks Beehunter :)

That's the working theory on my yellow chinense plants :)

Interesting, the first two plants that germinated this year at the begining of february, are the plants on first two pics on this page, bhut jolokia and west indies red. These two don't even have flowers yet. I even have pods on plants that germinated in the beginning of April (Purrira).
Talk about great start :D

I got some time, so I decided to compare how those yellow looking plants looked 9th April vs 2nd June

Fatalli Red
2ih8h6u.jpg

Habanero Red
14ad8wn.jpg

West Indies Red
2rr2w6d.jpg

There's a number of thing that could have made them worse - owerwatering, nutrient deficiency, frost, cold weather, nutrient lock...
Still not sure wich one made them go yellow.

That is a real mystery, No, they looked so awesome. Very frustrating to not be able to put a
finger on the problem. Wishing you luck getting that figured out.

Thanks Paul :)

I'm still not sure what's the problem.

Yesterday I took some desperate measures, cleaned out one plant completely, and put her in a new fresh compost.
346uluv.jpg

I hope it will help.

Hey i hope that works! looks like that plant has a pretty extensive root system. Hopefully if it was a soil problem you will be back on track in no time!

Yesterday I took some desperate measures, cleaned out one plant completely, and put her in a new fresh compost.
I hope it will help.
We'll keep our fingers crossed on this end too... It'd be a good excercise to see pics of the two side-by-side now that you've washed out the roots of one and completely replaced the soil with new stuff.
I tried so many new things with my pepper grow this year that I can't honestly say exactly what made the difference, or if it was everything together, but I remember that just before planting out, all of my peppers were getting kind of yellow. They'd been in their 3x3 inch cells for about a month, so the nutes were probably mostly played out by then, plus I'd turned off the electric heater down cellar so it was a pretty constant 10 degrees C down there. After I planted them outside, they stayed yellow-ish for a couple of weeks but greened up and grew quickly when we had a few days of rain followed by warm, sunny weather. The soil here is sandy, and has a ph of about 6.8. I think the rain dissolved nutes and washed them quickly down to the roots due to the soil porosity, and the warm temps. jazzed up the plants metabolisms so they grew more quickly.

I had some yellowing just before putting the plants out, but it looked a bit different from your and less extensive. A foliar spray of epsom salt after the transplant did the trick for mine. Considering you are obviously careful about the nutrients I'm stumped.

Guys, thanks for stopping here :)

Things are looking better here.
Plants in the ground that were hit by frost and hail are recovernig nicely
e62eq1.jpg

One plant even has a tiny pod, a first chinense pod this season! Shame on me, I didn't take a decent picture.

Those yellowish plants are also recovering, here's a red habanero from upper pics:
11butyv.jpg

I've come to think they were amged by frost, and are recovering now. I had few flowers on red savina, and the stems of the flower were yellowish also, and almost all of them dropped. New buds and flowes have nice green stems because they weren't damaged by frost, I think they will do ok. If flowers don't drop, my theory was ok.

Also not a good pic, but maybe you can see some green and some yellowish flower stems on red savina
6h8bog.jpg

Here's a brain strain that also dropped flowers, but seem to be doing ok now, with new buds forming
2yo7nh2.jpg

Shrooms in my West Indies Red pot should also mean that the soil si very good. This are the same shroom kind thta showed up in my Aji Habanero pot before the plant burst in growth :)
2945veh.jpg

The only plant that isn't showing recovery signs, is a plant that got roots washed out. But that plant wasn't damaged either by frost or hail, so it has to be a soil issue. It could take some time for her to recover.

With good weather, I expect a full recovery in a week or two :)

Also, few plants have an aphids issue again, but I'm already on it
x3wa5z.jpg

My Aji Habanero is still pumping pods like crazy
35k3h36.jpg

Second Purrira plant is also producing
vxepvq.jpg

Update:

All of my plants are recovering. Not sure what did help them, I tried a lot of stuff on them :D
Jus a few pic to see the recovery progress.
7 pot Brain Strain
8x09he.jpg

Fatalli
2ustv6x.jpg

West indies Red
fb3iu.jpg

First chinensis pod (lost label), probably bhut jolokia
2q2pycy.jpg

Mustard Habanero also starting to pod up
2wn4qdt.jpg

Non pepper pics:
Purple Tomatillo
34o3fj4.jpg

Tomato from rising rom down under :D
24kxpax.jpg

Hi Robert
Excellent to see your chiles have made a full recovery! How are the southwest chiles coming along? Did you get any of the Chile de Arbol to hook up?

Hi Robert
Excellent to see your chiles have made a full recovery! How are the southwest chiles coming along? Did you get any of the Chile de Arbol to hook up?

Thanks Rick :)

I have two Poblanos (3 planted) and one Big Jim (2 planted) going great, but no Chile de Arbol, I planted two of them, maybe they just need more time.

Have you tried to germinate Scotch Bonnets I've sent you?

Poblano (from stickman), 18 days old
s5k9hy.jpg

Hab red clone (two weeks old)
mvorqa.jpg

Some Haba red pods
9la2vc.jpg

2mxok0k.jpg

White Haba or Bishops Crown, 45 days old
348loyg.jpg

Basil and chives on the up side, tomato on the down side :)
24kxwkl.jpg

Growing basil on top of tomatoes is crazy looking, but if it ain't broke... don't fix it! Glad your Poblanos are looking good. Mine are setting pods right now. No size to them yet, but they're going to be prolific. I'm fully extended for this season, but will definitely start the Scotch Bonnets and Georgia Flame chiles next year. Cheers

Back