• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Miracle Fruit!

I have three miracle fruit plants that I am growing.
m99l44.jpg

This is a four year old that is a little over 24 inches. I don't have any pictures of the others.

For those of you who don't know what Miracle Fruit is, it is a plant that produces berries which will make sour taste sweet. It does this through a protein called Miraculin.

Cool! I have been interested in those for awhile now!
But I heard that seeds are almost impossible to germinate, and you have to start with seedling?
Do you know this to be true?

I wonder how it would change the flavor of a hot pepper!

They have some kind of gathering every once in awhile in Atlanta, where you can pay 20$ and eat those berries with cheese and lemons and such!
Very cool!

Kevin

Cool! I have been interested in those for awhile now!
But I heard that seeds are almost impossible to germinate, and you have to start with seedling?
Do you know this to be true?

I wonder how it would change the flavor of a hot pepper!

They have some kind of gathering every once in awhile in Atlanta, where you can pay 20$ and eat those berries with cheese and lemons and such!
Very cool!

Kevin
The seeds can be tough, but they aren't too bad. The only major reason to skip growing from seed is if you want fruit faster, then you can buy an older plant.

Nice looking plant Chico! Ill post a pic or 2 of mine in the next day or so. its still flowering and ive gotten a few fruits... going to try the electric toothbrush method next and see if i can get a few more flowers to pollinate. Also, I just saw your post about wanting bhut seeds, if you still need them i should have a couple in a few days and another 50 or so in about a month.
kyle

these are my 2 biggest plants. the second one has a single berry on it and they both have a lot of blooms so hopefully ill have a few more berries in the future.

Looking good :)
Would love to grow one of these myself, but i cant find any way to get seeds in australia :(
Guess i will just have to go without...

Nice looking plant Chico! Ill post a pic or 2 of mine in the next day or so. its still flowering and ive gotten a few fruits... going to try the electric toothbrush method next and see if i can get a few more flowers to pollinate. Also, I just saw your post about wanting bhut seeds, if you still need them i should have a couple in a few days and another 50 or so in about a month.
kyle
A method I have heard of is giving the plants a nice rinsing. They do get a decent amount of rain where they are from, so they might be adapted to pollinating that way. Basically, the flowers usually point in a downward direction, so as the water washes down it takes the pollen with it. Might be something to try sometime, as I have heard of great success with this method.

i took got a miracle fruit plant.:) currently i can see its just started flowering!!
Keeping my fingers crosses.. maybe i will get some fruits soon. :)

I have been chasing a plant for two weeks. I asked lost of people and got lots of blank stares. "miracle what??" Finally a guy at a market stall said he had some coming the next week at a garden expo. So I went to the expo, saw him there and he said the truck was delayed by flooding in the far north. -frustration-

Only went to the expo for that! Don't get me wrong, I love dodging a hundred senior citizens on motorised carts. I'd do it every day if I could :rofl:

I have been chasing a plant for two weeks. I asked lost of people and got lots of blank stares. "miracle what??" Finally a guy at a market stall said he had some coming the next week at a garden expo. So I went to the expo, saw him there and he said the truck was delayed by flooding in the far north. -frustration-

Only went to the expo for that! Don't get me wrong, I love dodging a hundred senior citizens on motorised carts. I'd do it every day if I could :rofl:

Hey megamoo,
If you do end up being able to track one down, let me know.
I live in Adelaide and so far i am unable to find anyone that can help me out :(

Cheers.

Back