• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Minion Method Question

The probes come with clips that attach to the grill or you insert them into the meat...I do one of surface temp and other for large cut of meat. 2 probes can fit in each hole with no issues so you could do one heat probe on each rack and one in two pieces of meat.

"If you were to pour one full stack of unlit briquettes around the triangle, and add the lit ones as you describe, how many hours of unattended cooking would you expect to get? By "unattended", I simply mean not having to add more briquettes. I think a WSM would suit me and wife, fine. "

I put 1/2 bag in my last cook roughly 8 pounds which filled it almost level with bricks then used 1/2 chimney lit. I only added wood and when I took off the brisket I cooked beans for 2 more hours for a total of 13+ hours. My modifications probably help slightly especially with the seal. 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
The probes come with clips that attach to the grill or you insert them into the meat...I do one of surface temp and other for large cut of meat. 2 probes can fit in each hole with no issues so you could do one heat probe on each rack and one in two pieces of meat.

"If you were to pour one full stack of unlit briquettes around the triangle, and add the lit ones as you describe, how many hours of unattended cooking would you expect to get? By "unattended", I simply mean not having to add more briquettes. I think a WSM would suit me and wife, fine. "

I put 1/2 bag in my last cook roughly 8 pounds which filled it almost level with bricks then used 1/2 chimney lit. I only added wood and when I took off the brisket I cooked beans for 2 more hours for a total of 13+ hours. My modifications probably help slightly especially with the seal. 
Thanks. No problems with ash smothering the charcoal? What brand are you using?

I'd encourage you to practice building and maintaining cooking fires with either cheap meat or no meat on the pit first. There's nothing like spending $60 on a brisket only to have it ruined by inexperience. If you go with the WSM, you should be able to maintain your cooking temp easier than you will with an offset smoker, unless you feel like dishing out the cash for a REALLY GOOD offset smoker. But either way, practice first with a couple of dry runs, learning how to set your dampers.

Also, I just stumbled on this article about wood vs. charcoal vs. gas, and it seems that THP nailed it with his post.... using wood by itself actually puts out more gases and whatnot than burning charcoal does (because charcoal is merely pre-burned wood). Check it out. This website has a ton of info.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/zen_of_wood.html

Phil said:
Also, I just stumbled on this article about wood vs. charcoal vs. gas, and it seems that THP nailed it with his post.... using wood by itself actually puts out more gases and whatnot than burning charcoal does (because charcoal is merely pre-burned wood). Check it out. This website has a ton of info.

Henry Ford invented the briquette when disposing of left over wood chunks from Model T Ford production.

I don't have time to google it but something along those lines.

Here's one that gets high praises from pros and is pretty inexpensive ($300)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1zxwl1n_sA

Phil said:
. If you go with the WSM, you should be able to maintain your cooking temp easier than you will with an offset smoker, unless you feel like dishing out the cash for a REALLY GOOD offset smoker. But either way, practice first with a couple of dry runs, learning how to set your dampers.

I'm proof that the WSM is just about idiot proof. I was maintaining the correct temps on my 1st try following the directions and on the 2nd smoke I tried the minion method and never looked back. It does use a bit more charcoal than Joyners method, so I might try tossing in a brick or two some day but for now, this is fine.

Jeff H said:

I'm proof that the WSM is just about idiot proof. I was maintaining the correct temps on my 1st try following the directions and on the 2nd smoke I tried the minion method and never looked back. It does use a bit more charcoal than Joyners method, so I might try tossing in a brick or two some day but for now, this is fine.

I second this ^^^ as well, but pertaining to myself.  Has been pretty easy to maintain temps and on the 18 in with a full load of charcoal and has last for about 15 hours.

Phil said:
I'd encourage you to practice building and maintaining cooking fires with either cheap meat or no meat on the pit first. There's nothing like spending $60 on a brisket only to have it ruined by inexperience. If you go with the WSM, you should be able to maintain your cooking temp easier than you will with an offset smoker, unless you feel like dishing out the cash for a REALLY GOOD offset smoker. But either way, practice first with a couple of dry runs, learning how to set your dampers.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/zen_of_wood.html
Phil I absolutely love this post!!!!!!! We have a fairly popular and growing Facebook page in Australia for "BBQ" low and slow, American style etc. that have so many people who have know fallen in love with this 'new' flavour of the month downunder, never cooked real bbq, or used charcoal etc, and go out for there first cook, and ruin a perfectly nice slab of brisket.

I for one am always trying to tell them to learn how to control the fire first. Once you have mastered that you then should start experimenting with the different cuts

Even when I got my big offset I did a dry run to see where my hot and cold spots were

Booma said:
Phil I absolutely love this post!!!!!!! We have a fairly popular and growing Facebook page in Australia for "BBQ" low and slow, American style etc. that have so many people who have know fallen in love with this 'new' flavour of the month downunder, never cooked real bbq, or used charcoal etc, and go out for there first cook, and ruin a perfectly nice slab of brisket.

I for one am always trying to tell them to learn how to control the fire first. Once you have mastered that you then should start experimenting with the different cuts

Even when I got my big offset I did a dry rub to see where my hot and cold spots were

No doubt. I've "ruined" a few myself, mostly due to impatience... which can also be chalked up to inexperience.

And judging by your pictures, I'm thinking they need to take your advice! You seem to have nailed it!

Suppose you're using the Minion Method, and you realize that you will run out of fuel before the cook is done. Do you start from scratch again when you can't maintain temp?

The key is to use quality fuel. If you use cheap briquettes or coals, they might stink and transfer that smell/taste to your Meat. If you use briquettes go for coco briquettes, if using coal use a quality brand.

Roguejim said:
Suppose you're using the Minion Method, and you realize that you will run out of fuel before the cook is done. Do you start from scratch again when you can't maintain temp?
1/2 chimney of coal scattered should get back to temp assuming you are asking (after you get more fuel)

Roguejim said:
Thanks, man.  I've been following the Weber thread, and am undecided as to whether to buy an offset, or bullet style smoker.  I am an unsatisfied Traeger owner. :tear:
 I've been fighting my damn Traeger for years...I am a certified Traeger mechanic at this point. Cooked a nice butt last night though. Hard to buy something else when it's operational. I think I'm going with the green egg when it finally dies. 

Roguejim said:
Unlit coals, right?
Depends, you can throw a couple of unlit coals into the fire as you get late into the cook to keep temp. I thought you asked when you ran out so I was saying lite 1/2 chimney when you went and got fuel and get it back to temp. 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Depends, you can throw a couple of unlit coals into the fire as you get late into the cook to keep temp. I thought you asked when you ran out so I was saying lite 1/2 chimney when you went and got fuel and get it back to temp.
Sorry. I meant when the fuel is running out in the WSM, i.e., burning out.
ColdSmoke said:
I've been fighting my damn Traeger for years...I am a certified Traeger mechanic at this point. Cooked a nice butt last night though. Hard to buy something else when it's operational. I think I'm going with the green egg when it finally dies.
What's your/gripe with the Traeger? I bought a Savannah Stoker controller for mine. Temp control is a snap. Good smoke flavor is about impossible. I even resorted to layering hickory chunks on the flame diverter/cover. The problem is that the chunks don't start smoking until temp approaches 300F, which is higher than I smoke at. At 300F, the wood chunks will be done in less than an hour.

I've just had issues with parts going bad. I've replaced the control board, hot rod (three times), auger pin and fan. I get great smoke flavor with mine. Are you not getting a lot of smoke on the low setting? I rarely smoke anything for under 3 hours. 

I have the Savannah Stoker, which is an after market upgrade built by a guy, Billy Merill, who hangs out at pelletheads.com. It holds such close temps, and is so efficient, that not much smoke seems to be produced. Smoke is rarely visible coming from the stack, and I use good pellets, not Traeger. Maybe I need to put the Traeger controller back in. What temp does the LOW setting give you, generally?

Roguejim said:
I have the Savannah Stoker, which is an after market upgrade built by a guy, Billy Merill, who hangs out at pelletheads.com. It holds such close temps, and is so efficient, that not much smoke seems to be produced. Smoke is rarely visible coming from the stack, and I use good pellets, not Traeger. Maybe I need to put the Traeger controller back in. What temp does the LOW setting give you, generally?

smoke setting gets me from 175-205, medium 220-250, high 300-400

I don't use traeger pellets. I get the ones that Cash N Carry sells...half the price and I think they are better pellets. 

Back