• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

MGOLD's Farewell Sauce Thread, SUPER CHEETAH!

What's up friends, family, and lurkers! I am fixing to get out of dodge here pretty soon, but before I do, I wanted to take advantage of what the pepper gods have given me this year, and bust out a sauce or two. I don't have much time, and I figured I would get the time to make one or two different batches. Tonight I am going to start the first one, and I promise to post up some pics, and if any of you have followed my GLog, there will probably be enough, if not TOO much rambling. Anyways, shall we begin???

I did a bunch of homework before diving into this mess. I read SL's great thread, and talked with a few experienced....saucemen... I didn't wanna pay crazy shipping and didn't know if I would get the bottles in time, so I decided to go to the store and get the cheapest sauce and dump the stuff and use the bottle. Yea, sounded great....I have been to every grocery or food type store in a 40 mile radius, and found 6 5oz bottles under 2 bucks. So I bought them all up, and decided that wouldn't be enough....I don't plan on making a ton of sauce, but I would like to get about 2 bottles per sauce to bring with me. So, I decided to pickup some 10oz Tapatio for about 1.40 each. I figured that would be great to get a big bottle and little bottle to bring with me.

So here is the before.
file-1.jpg

I needed to get those pesky labels off, so I cleaned the bottles out with some o2 cleaner I got at the local homebrewing store, and soaked them overnight in it to help pull the labels off. The larger bottles gave me a ton of trouble, but I got most of the residue after some elbow grease. :)

Now I am ready for tonight.
file-2.jpg

The recipe I am going with tonight is as follows.

7 Pot Jonah, roasted
7 Pot Original, roasted
Garlic, roasted
Sundried Tomatoes
Roma Tomatoes, Grilled
Sweet Onion caramelized (dry)
Salt and Pepper
Agave
Balsamic Vinegar, taste
Lemon juice
Rice Vinegar

I haven't really thought about measurements, but I have about 3/4 qt of each pepper and plenty of ingredients. I would rather make more, and have to dump then not make enough. From what I gather, to get the heat and taste, you should have 50% peppers. I don't have a scale, so I am just gonna go with "feel"... I plan on roasting my veg (I already roasted the garlic last night), and then throwing them in a pot, cooking it down, and then blend with my immersion blender, test ph, and adjust with the rice vinegar. I have no clue about what measurements I am gonna use, any tips or tricks would be great, and like I said, this is just a rough guideline. If you have any recommendations to the recipe, things that have worked well for you in the past, or things that you think I should try, please, let me know. Although I am not really starting with measurements, I plan to write them down for future reference.

Thanks and I look forward to the conversation!

Matt

Sorry you have to leave and the best of luck to you. STAY SAFE and hurry back.

Let me know when they are ready i would love to get some and do reviews on them.

Your Friend always,
Slade

First, don't throw left overs out, put them in a gallon ziplock and freeze them.

Now, this is just me doing some rough calculations in my head so,
hummm, was that 3 or 4 quarts or three fourths of a quart of peppers? Well I'll use weight,

1 lb 7 Pot Jonah, roasted
1 lb 7 Pot Original, roasted
1 head Garlic, roasted
1 Pouch Sundried Tomatoes not in Oil
3 Roma Tomatoes, Grilled
1 Large or 2 medimum Sweet Onion caramelized (dry)
1 Tbl Salt
2 Tbl Agave
1 Tbl Balsamic Vinegar, taste
1/4 cup Lemon juice
1/4 cup Rice Vinegar
Water

I really don't think you'll need the Black pepper but add it to taste if you do. Thsi should get you started and at least close to Ph 4

cheers,
RM

Oh man, duh.
I know this is about your sauce, but stay safe and Thank you and your fellow service members for doing what you do.

Cheers to you Matt!

Sauce looks awesome by the way. :D

use vinegar sparingly! If you are not going by a recipe that is. I've found that when I first started making my own sauces, I would put way too much vinegar in and then it is nearly impossible to readjust it unless you want to start throwing in more tomatoes and garlic and onion and yadda yadda yadda. Simple, straight forward sauces are the best for first time batches. Good luck!

Thank you for serving our country. I will say a prayer for your safe return. Once you get there post where we can send care packages!

Best of luck to you on you're journey Matt! Stay safe and keep the ones you love most close to your heart! I dated and married a marine at a very young age, went through 4 deployments, one was during 9/11 and he was shipped straight to Afghanistan, didn't have any contact with him for a full month. As hard as it is for you, I know how hard this is for you're wife! Being a military wife is one of the toughest jobs out there! May the angels keep you safe and give her strength!

Oh and that sauce sounds excellent, will be checking back to see how it turns out!

Melissa :)

Matt, You are dedicated... Thanks again for all of your documentation this year... It is hard to keep up with all of your efforts. I know you are deploying again soon, so Thank You for Your Service. I will be watching your hot sauce thread closely, as we will be saucing shortly, en masse.

Regards, Chris

Thanks Chris. I like to think I am being thorough, my wife thinks its OCD. Tomato Tomawto.

Oh man, duh.
I know this is about your sauce, but stay safe and Thank you and your fellow service members for doing what you do.

Cheers to you Matt!

Sauce looks awesome by the way. :D

Thanks Scovie. I appreciate it. It is gonna get Saucy up in here....more than one way...
file.jpg

AND I got some Avion tequilla...straight out of Entourage!

use vinegar sparingly! If you are not going by a recipe that is. I've found that when I first started making my own sauces, I would put way too much vinegar in and then it is nearly impossible to readjust it unless you want to start throwing in more tomatoes and garlic and onion and yadda yadda yadda. Simple, straight forward sauces are the best for first time batches. Good luck!

Thank you for serving our country. I will say a prayer for your safe return. Once you get there post where we can send care packages!

Thanks for the tip! I appreciate it, yea, it is no bueno to go back and redo things. I test the ph prior to using it and try to just use enough to bring it down. Then ill probably simmer for a little longer to blend flavors??

Best of luck to you on you're journey Matt! Stay safe and keep the ones you love most close to your heart! I dated and married a marine at a very young age, went through 4 deployments, one was during 9/11 and he was shipped straight to Afghanistan, didn't have any contact with him for a full month. As hard as it is for you, I know how hard this is for you're wife! Being a military wife is one of the toughest jobs out there! May the angels keep you safe and give her strength!

Oh and that sauce sounds excellent, will be checking back to see how it turns out!

Melissa :)

Thanks Melissa. Yea, my wife puts up with more than just peppers...lol!

Heading out to pick up a few more things, and cooking starts in a few hours folks.

Alrighty folks, sorry for the delay!

Grillen them babies up!
file-4.jpg

Get em nice and charred
file-5.jpg

Saute your veg, I didn't use any oil. Just a bit of water to deglaze the pan.
file-6.jpg

Take your peppers and maters off the grill, and chop em up. I was gonna pull the char, but that was next to impossible...Adds character anyways!
file-9.jpg

Cook it down
file-10.jpg

And blend!
file-11.jpg

file-12.jpg

So now I am at a crossroads. I have added a bit of water to get it to blend, but it is about the consistency of a marinara sauce. Where should I go from here? Seive and separate? Cook it down, add some water??

Let me introduce you to my first sauce.

NO TRUCKS!

file-14.jpg

file-15.jpg

file-13.jpg

I gotta tell ya, tasting while processing has got me sweatin! I am not sure how the heat will go while it sits before I open it, but right now it is pretty damn warm! It has a great 7 pot taste, with the sweetness coming out from the roasting and agave. It is pretty thick, which I am pretty indifferent to right now. I haven't made up my mind as far as texture of sauces goes. I LOVE the sauces that TMUDDER has made, and most of his has been more chunky (aside from the Scorch), but I am still trying to find my niche and didn't feel like straining through a sieve. The taste was on point, the color is amazing, and for a first sauce, I am pretty stoked. I am really loving this sauce thing.

Here is how I got there.

16 7 Pot Jonah, roasted
17 7 Pot Original Strain, roasted
3/4 Lg onion, chopped, and caramelized with a touch of salt and a little water if it starts to go over
1.5 oz sun dried tomatoes
3 Roma Tomatoes, roasted
1/4 cup Lemon Juice
1 tbs salt
2 tbs Agave
1/8 cup Rice Vin
Water

I forgot the Balsamic...oops!

Anyways, roast your peppers, and tomatoes. Chop your veg. Start your sautee and chop the tomatoes and peppers. Throw everything into the pot, add the lemon juice, agave, and salt, and cook down over low heat. About 20 mins later, blend it (I used an immersion blender but a regular blender would work fine), and then check ph. Use the rice vin to drop the ph. Add water as you need to loosen the sauce to blend.

I got the ph down to 3.5, so I bottled at 200 degrees and flipped so it sterilized the caps.

Anyways, I am super stoked to give it a try! It is just gonna take another week or so before I break that thing open...maybe the flavors will meld a bit more, so I can't wait!

Matt .......thank you for your entertaining glog, always different and interesting......... :cool: .......looking forwrd to seeing you back on the top of the charts! Be smart and stay safe!

Greg

Back