• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MGOLD86's GLOG, of sorts. NEW Billy Boy Douglah Review!

baeb2f3f.jpg

With that being said,
welcome.gif
to my grow log.

As a disclaimer, if you came here to learn how to grow peppers the right way, you might as well leave. Also, if you get easily offended, send all hatemail to Romy6. Thx. If you are looking for a pro log …… click http://www.thehotpep...al-discussion/. If you want meticulous notes, and updates like clockwork, click http://www.thehotpep...hot-grow-2012/.

For those of you who are still here, I’m Matt, and you can call me that. That or homie, bro, chief, man, buddy, or Javier. This is season number 2 and last year was a disaster. Somewhere between scouring the web to find out why all my plants couldn’t break the 2 foot mark I ran across this forum, and bam, hooked. I started gathering seeds in June and got them in dirt (or coffee filters) today.

Here is my list:

Scorps:
ButchT- Pepper lover/Chad S 3
Red TScorp-AJ 3
Yellow TScorp-Brian 3
TScorp Marouga-Pepper Lover 3

Indian:
Red Bhut-Pepper Lover 3
Assam Bhut Indian Carbon- Pepper Lover 3
Giant Red Bhut-PGM 3
Choc Bhut-PGM 3
Peach Bhut-Aji Joe 3
Naga Morich- Brian 3

7's:
Yellow 7: THSC 3
White 7: Pepper Lover 3
Jonah: Pepper Lover 3
Primo: Pepper Lover 3
Barrakpore: Pepper Lover 3
Douglah: THSC 3
Brain Strain: CMPMAN 3
Yellow Brain Strain: Pepper Lover 3
Infinity: Wouter 3

Habs:
Red Savina-Pepper Lover 3
Red Hab- Pepper Lover 3
Orange Hab- Pepper Lover 3

Crosses:
Naga x 7 Pot-Chad 3
Peach Habalokia-Aji Joe 3
Red Scorpanero #2-Aji Joe 3
Yellow Habalokia-Aji Joe 3

Others:
Fatalii-Pepper Lover 3
Trinidad Perfume-Pepper Lover 3
Tabago Seasoning-Pepper Lover 3
Aji Yellow-Aji Joe 3
Inca Red Drop-Kevin 3
Maui Purple- Kevin 3

Medium:

Biker Billy Jal- Burpee 0
Cayenne- Burpee 0

Mild/Sweet:

Joe E. Parker- HM 0
Red Bell Orion F1- HM 0
Yellow Bell Catriona- HM 0

For background on my set up with plenty of pics and commentary click http://www.thehotpep...-now-with-pics/ basically, I have a 5x5x7 growtent with a 600w MH.
8cb5f8e2.jpg

I am planting via 2 methods, coffee filter and direct sow. I want to eventually plant out 1 of each variety so I sowed 3 seeds. I soaked my seeds last night in water and planted 1 in a tray of Hoffman’s Seed Starter (thanks Ronnie),
fe6e7491.jpg

and the other two I stuck in coffee filters and plastic bags. So EVERYONE is aware, this method is not a quick one. Consider yourself warned.
b28bda4d.jpg

When I finished planting/bagging everything, I stuck it in my tent which maintains about 81-84 and we shall keep our fingers crossed.

d3223e2c.jpg

parting shot
7464807f.jpg

Now it is time to PWN some 12 year olds in MW3. Peace!

As far as thinning out the cells with multiple sprouts in them I can't help but ask the question, why not wait until they both have some decent growth on them and separate the two plants and replant them? Saving both plants.

I have done this many times with tomato and pepper plants and have never had a problem.

Great come back Matt hope everything turns out well this time around I also used the leftover bag of promix to start a few seeds whatever was leftover from potting up the one gallons. Sorry I can't help about the separation I normally just go with one seed per cup. Good luck

Things are looking up for you I see.

I've noticed that the Red Brains / TSMB / Infinity (basically the super bumpy 7-pot type strains) all seem to have higher rates of 3 cotyledons. My only red brain to pop had 3 this year and one of my 2 TSMBs last year had 3 cotyledons. The Brain this year had some trouble finding a way to grow leaves around them though haha. It looks kind of confused, sprouting tiny leaves in weird places. I think I'd rather have 2 cotyledons...

IIght Homies, My light came in, its game time.

11222bdf.jpg

d6feb789.jpg

da932fd6.jpg

I really didn't think about getting something to hang it BEFORE the light came in, so I used the yo-yo hangers and reinforced them with straps for some gymnast rings. The light is super bright, and I have it set for 4 lights on, 2 off. I really didnt realize the tubes were so damn small.

So, now I have some extra growing space that needs to be "optimized". I figured either a 2' T8 (If they make one), or a few cfls. What do you think? My goal is to have a space to move some of the quick growers to so the smaller ones won't be affected by the light height.

Damn that is a beautiful sight. Those little guys are going to be huge in no time.

So I went back to the HomeDepot website to check up on my lights and they say they're out of stock now and my order is still processing... :(

Can't wait to see the growth you get after a few weeks with your new lights sir.

IIght Homies, My light came in, its game time.

11222bdf.jpg

d6feb789.jpg

da932fd6.jpg

I really didn't think about getting something to hang it BEFORE the light came in, so I used the yo-yo hangers and reinforced them with straps for some gymnast rings. The light is super bright, and I have it set for 4 lights on, 2 off. I really didnt realize the tubes were so damn small.

So, now I have some extra growing space that needs to be "optimized". I figured either a 2' T8 (If they make one), or a few cfls. What do you think? My goal is to have a space to move some of the quick growers to so the smaller ones won't be affected by the light height.

Looks awesome. That grow tent with the homemade tables and now all the straps and cords hanging all over, it's like a mad scientists pepper experiment; like someone rogue from NASA who is going to "find a way to make them all pay." Maybe I've been listening to too many podcasts of old radio scifi...
Anyway, I've had good luck with cfl's so far. The price isn't bad and with some clamp on shop light fixtures they are real moveable.

Damnittt man!!! I have been secretly googling t5 fixtures for weeks now! You're not helping me resist the urge! Doesn't make sense for me to buy one now. My T8's will get me to plant out in a month no problem...just wondering what the starts would look like if I'd placed them under a nice t5 setup...found an 8 bulb on craigslist today for $150 with bulbs! So hard not to jump on a deal like that! Keep me posted on how that thing works out.

I always do a look around the lights and light fixture section in home depot and Lowes whenever I am there.. for anything which is almost always plant related, but I haven't seen any 2ft T8 fixtures.. I think they have either single or mmayyyyybee double 3' T8 fixtures, but not sure..

Matt that light looks sexy. I'm gonna have to get my guys under my big t5s tonight as I have too many to fit in my closet anymore :(

Damn that is a beautiful sight. Those little guys are going to be huge in no time.

So I went back to the HomeDepot website to check up on my lights and they say they're out of stock now and my order is still processing... :(

Can't wait to see the growth you get after a few weeks with your new lights sir.

Thanks man! I would call HD and see what the deal is with the lights. No sense on waiting for a few weeks only to find out that they are still on backorder. I got mine off eBay for 156 and free shipping. I wanted to kill the seller and am still debating on giving a terrible review (took 3 or 4 days to process the order, came in outside the shipping window and he SIGNATURE Required the package!!! I was jumping through hoops trying to find anyone who could sign for it. What does he think, I have time to sit at the door all day waiting for it to come in?1?!? Anyways, rant complete. I am super happy now with it.

:dance: :party: Nice light buddy!!!!!!!!!!! here we go, no more excuses now. lol I should talk my plants look like crap. :oops:

LOL! Thanks SC! I may be crazy, but I swear there is an overnight difference. I saw true leaves coming in on one of the seedlings before the light, today when I got home from work I can see them coming in on at least a dozen! So happy. Hopefully they dont all die tonight..... :lol:

Looks awesome. That grow tent with the homemade tables and now all the straps and cords hanging all over, it's like a mad scientists pepper experiment; like someone rogue from NASA who is going to "find a way to make them all pay." Maybe I've been listening to too many podcasts of old radio scifi...
Anyway, I've had good luck with cfl's so far. The price isn't bad and with some clamp on shop light fixtures they are real moveable.

I have been called a lot of things, but mad scientists is new! Honestly, I am DIY retarded....but it is crazy how things come out when it is something you are really in to. The wife asks me to put up curtains and they fall off the wall and are 7 inches higher on the right side, but build a grow tent and it has built in dolby digital surround sound....go figure!

Damnittt man!!! I have been secretly googling t5 fixtures for weeks now! You're not helping me resist the urge! Doesn't make sense for me to buy one now. My T8's will get me to plant out in a month no problem...just wondering what the starts would look like if I'd placed them under a nice t5 setup...found an 8 bulb on craigslist today for $150 with bulbs! So hard not to jump on a deal like that! Keep me posted on how that thing works out.

Sorry Shane. Honestly, I got it because it was the 2nd and you know what it is like on the 1st and 15th....Also, it was a awesome price. Looking back, if I didn't find it at that price, a T8 would have done fine. I will not get to use it next season (another trip playing peacemaker), but I really wanted it, and that is all that matters right??? I think that the following season I will start much earlier (like December 1st or something) and give both lights a shot. Start under the T5s and break out the MH once they are about 6 or 8 inches tall and healthy. Dont think I am gonna give up totally on next season....gonna smuggle a few CFLs and see what I can do with em!

I always do a look around the lights and light fixture section in home depot and Lowes whenever I am there.. for anything which is almost always plant related, but I haven't seen any 2ft T8 fixtures.. I think they have either single or mmayyyyybee double 3' T8 fixtures, but not sure..

Yea, I think I am gonna do a DIY CFL light setup. 4 20-25W CFLs at 64/5000k under some sort of ducting will probably be cheap and wonderful! I have a long weekend and only have to come in to show my face on Friday, so after that I am gonna head to the hardware store and get the materials. Gonna take the wife to Fondu for "V Day" Dinner and she will probably pass out on the couch as soon as we get home. That leaves hours of drinking, building, and filming!

Matt that light looks sexy. I'm gonna have to get my guys under my big t5s tonight as I have too many to fit in my closet anymore :(

Break em out! I can already see a difference. It is so funny, I almost left work at lunch to check on them. I was freaking out about the change, height, heat, invisible pepper monsters...whatever! But I held out and when I got home they looked great. Also, the temps are actually MORE stable with this light. I figured I would drop a few degrees, but nope, right about 78 overnight and 82-85 during the day. Ill take it!

For all you curious about how cool this light is....
Yea....its pretty BA...

Hey, Matt - nice light! I saw one of those in action
at a friend's house last weekend - that serious illumination!
Way to go, and I hope your pods don't become carniverous!
Can't wait to see the effect they have...

Yea, I think I am gonna do a DIY CFL light setup. 4 20-25W CFLs at 64/5000k under some sort of ducting will probably be cheap and wonderful! I have a long weekend and only have to come in to show my face on Friday, so after that I am gonna head to the hardware store and get the materials. Gonna take the wife to Fondu for "V Day" Dinner and she will probably pass out on the couch as soon as we get home. That leaves hours of drinking, building, and filming!

nice, I really like the CFL lights, they put out plenty of light for the peppers when they are younger.. just a heads up, if I had seen this before I had bought all of those shop lights with the clamps and domes on them I would have gotten these.. which is what AJ uses.. the vanity shop light I think something like this (they have one that is already prewired but not sure if this one is it.. and they have 3 and 4 light ones http://www.lowes.com...ollow&cId=PDIO1)

or if you want a little flexibility they have this without the dome and clamp, I just can't find it on the site.. but I saw them last time i was in there.. or Home Depot.. forget which one.. but they are pretty much the same store lol http://www.lowes.com...cord&facetInfo= and I think the ones that I saw without the dome and clamp was something like $3-4 or something, I can't remember

good luck

Almost broke out the T5s last night but my babies were getting a suntan under the LED I have em under. They aren't growing fast so I think they need a fert boost but id rather run 90W than 225/450W (4/8 bulbs). BTW what Kelvin rating are your bulbs? I'm gonna be trying 50/50 2900/6500K cause I heard it works really well.

Nice lookin light ya got there Matt! I'm lookin forward to seeing how yours grow with the right bulbs from the start (what I didn't do) Keep a close eye on the tops of the plants, I had to make an emergency trip to the hardward store to buy some wood to somehow find a way to raise my lights AGAIN.. they're now 12-13inchs from the top. My plants started to crinkle and burn as they were getting bigger, I don't know if it's my confined space in the closet so it heats up really fast with 4 fixtures going or what.. I gotta get the hang of these f***n T5s throughout this year lol.. it's killin me. I hope everything goes well for ya dude.

Brandon

I know you called yourself DIY retarded, or something like that, but I stand firmly by my earlier statement of mad scientist. And these latest pictures only serve to solidify my case. You can only fool the people for so long...

Back