• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

fertilizer Meaning of the numbers in fertilizers???

hi everybody

im completely new to growing hot peppers, i got question about fertilizers what are the meanings of those number like 5-1-1 and such..im completely clueless on everything a help would be much appreciated so i can grow nice and healthy hot peppers...

What compmodder said. There's actually an equation to the numbers as well which I was taught by several horticulture professors in college. For Nitrogen (the first number) that is actually how much in terms of percentage is in the fertilizer. For Phosphorus, multiply it by 0.83, as that phosphorus is locked in the phosphate molecule, and then you'll get the resulting percentage of Phosphorus.. For Potassium (the third number, multiply it by 0.55 as it mixed in as Potash. Those will be the true numbers of each in terms of percentage in the fertilizer.

Just to add. Nitrogen is basically for green. Phosphorus is for cell structure. Potassium is for water management. These are the primary fertilizers that without it either naturally found in the soil or added via a fertilizer the plant must have or no go. Additionally there are many micro nutrients and organisms that are beneficial to the plant that may not be found in commercial fertilizers that are useful.

Im sure there is a comprehensive thread here regarding this topic, all I can say is in general it is better to under fertilize than to over fertilize so go easy at least at first.

Back