• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Making powder

Well, sooner or later I was going to have to ask this, how do you guys make your powders? Ever since I tried Mojos powder he sent me I loved the stuff and wanted to know how to make the stuff.

Thanks in advance to those who help me out with this!

I dry the pods, put them in the coffee grinder, and sometimes add a little salt, garlic salt, celery salt, or parsely just to add a little more flavor. The coffee grinder turns it to dust quickly (if that's what you want), and is easy to clean up and use for coffee again. I also have powders from WickedMojo and they are just too awesome to describe adequately.

I dehydrate my peppers in a cheapo dehydrator then use a $10 electric coffee grinder from a big box store and grind grind grind.

Another option to grinding powders is to use a blender and a small mouth mason jar. The base and gasket of the blender pitcher will screw onto the mason jar for dust and tear free powdering. No need to evacuate the house when making superhot powders.

I don't own a dehydrator yet, so I just slice the pods in half and use the oven at 170 degrees (the lowest setting it has). Also, I cracked open the oven door just a tiny bit to let out the humidity buildup and lower the temp some. The habs dried out in about 3 hours and it turned out perfectly.

I use a cheapy blender. I think it was like $13. If I want them into POWDER form, I just use a coffee grinder. The blender is good for bigger stuff, like flakes and what-not.

Oh, so when you use the coffee grinder it makes powder, and the blender makes flakes, question is, which one is better and easier to use... haha

thanks for all the input and help guys, but to make the powder you need to have them dehydrated first?

Yeah, DEFINATELY dry them first!!! lol
A GOOD blender might be able to powder some pods. But the cheapy one I have wont. It gets small enough to put in shakers, so Im good to go.

I dry the pods, put them in the coffee grinder, and sometimes add a little salt, garlic salt, celery salt, or parsely just to add a little more flavor. The coffee grinder turns it to dust quickly (if that's what you want), and is easy to clean up and use for coffee again. I also have powders from WickedMojo and they are just too awesome to describe adequately.

Now that's a great idea Chileaddict.

Definitely like the thought of adding more flavor to my future chile powders.

Thanks for the inspiration!

dvg

If I want my powder very fine I send it through my flour mill. I also dehydrate the pulp I filter out of my sauces and turn that to powder. Normally very tasty.

I have 2 coffee grinders. The cheap one is for coffee. The nicer one is for peppers. The nice one has a dial on it that corresponds to the amount of coffee being grounded, and either turns my peppers into flakes, or powder.

Obviously blender performance varies and mine turns dried chilies into a fine powder. The type blade you use as well as the sharpness of the blade has a lot to do with the results. You don't want to use a quart jar on a blender either. I use a 12oz jelly jar that keeps the contents well introduced to the sharp blades and there are 4 blades with one pair elevated and the second set close to the bottom.

Here's one I just put together. Not the norm for sure...:)
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/19046-chile-grinding-contraption/page__gopid__403907#entry403907

If I want my powder very fine I send it through my flour mill. I also dehydrate the pulp I filter out of my sauces and turn that to powder. Normally very tasty.
I just got the flour mill set up going and I've also saved some of the strained stuff. Looking forward to tasting it ground.

I have 2 coffee grinders. The cheap one is for coffee. The nicer one is for peppers. The nice one has a dial on it that corresponds to the amount of coffee being grounded, and either turns my peppers into flakes, or powder.
RN has his priorities straight! lol~

Obviously blender performance varies and mine turns dried chilies into a fine powder. The type blade you use as well as the sharpness of the blade has a lot to do with the results. You don't want to use a quart jar on a blender either. I use a 12oz jelly jar that keeps the contents well introduced to the sharp blades and there are 4 blades with one pair elevated and the second set close to the bottom.

SS- I tried it with about 1 1/2 cups dehyd chiles in a quart size jar with the blender blades. It did not grind up well, and it sounds like I should have used a smaller jar. I'll try it again. Thanks for the tip.

SL

I dehydrate my peppers in a cheapo dehydrator then use a $10 electric coffee grinder from a big box store and grind grind grind.
That perfectly describes my method. Only differences are that the food dehydrator, while cheap as hell, is old and was given to me and the coffee grinder was like 20 bucks at Wal-Mart.

The coffee grinder has a ridiculously short non-extendable power cable (about 1 1/2 feet... no joke...) for supposed "safety reasons" that consistently drives me nuts and, in fact, causes me almost drop the damn thing regularly in normal use and forces me to use it in dangerous ways just to be able to actually *use* it. Way to completely miss the point of safety in the name of some bizarre, loony version of "safety," Mr. Coffee! Let me just say, being forced to *hold* a f***ing coffee grinder while trying to *use* is not safe at all, and who the hell would stick the cord in by accident and forget to check before pressing down on the lid to operate it anyway? Not to mention the lid wouldn't close properly, preventing the thing from starting to begin with based on the design of the unit. When buying I thought you would be able to pull the cord out, which would have been completely acceptable, but no; it almost seems like the company actively to prevent people from actually using their products--when you look at it that way, I guess they have succeeded to make their product "safe." Can't lose a finger to a coffee grinder you can barely even use to begin with by design! I'm tempted to get a short extension cable to to make the thing more tolerable to use.

The dehydrator also sucks ass--for the peppers I usually dry (small ones like Tabasco) its floor openings, for lack of better word, are too damn big and the peppers always fall to the bottom under the heating coil, and for larger peppers like habaneros some don't even fit well until they've lost some moisture. I may eventually get a halfway decent dehydrator because the current one is such a massive pain in the ass to use (hell, I don't even know what temperature it operates at--not even the instruction manual says, but peppers turn somewhat brown by the time it's done with them, so my guess is too high).

Of course, all peppers are rinsed with warm water first and then de-stemmed before doing anything, but I don't cut them in any way. I may start doing this for the bigger ones next year, even if it's just a slit, to speed up the drying process (and who knows, maybe it'll cause them to turn brown less). And despite how shitty my setup is, it does actually work. A massive PITA and even somewhat dangerous by design, but it works.

Way late Edit: Oops, the brand of coffee grinder is actually Mr. Coffee, not Hamilton Beach. Misdirected criticism. Had to correct that.

I also have a 4 blade 2 up 2 down blender like SS. I have picked up a few spare blender pitchers at yard sales. I have 3 bases I screw on pint jars. 1 is on the blender full of dried pods for 4 minutes or so or until I am ready. While it is there I empty one and refill it. During all this the last one ground is settling. Once you get a rhythm going it works great.

I bought a $12 grinder and $30 dehydrator with temp setting and they work great for the small amounts that I do. I wouldn't recommend using the same coffee grinder, you might warm up someones morning a bit too much.

Here's a "what not to get" model-

Cuisinart Grind Central, 18 cup capacity
32fd1545.jpg

It has one of the largest bowls we've seen on a coffee grinder, but the cover doesn't seal to the bowl and a lot of powder gets out of the bowl.
09021495.jpg

d23893f8.jpg

Here's the dehydrator, I think it's kinda expensive, my Mom gave it to me at the same time she gave me the grain mill... when we moved away from civilization 11 years ago :lol:

eb687c26.jpg

I've been drying at 105F-110F. It takes a little longer at the lower temps, but the colors are BEAUTIFUL. Haven't seen any discoloration of the pods.

3c2dc40f.jpg

good size racks, I was able to get 10 lbs of fresh orange habs onto 6 trays. The unit came with plastic trays for doing fruit leathers, so i put one on the bottom rack to catch all the debris that fell through...
1f07a5ac.jpg

7f883314.jpg

Back