• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Lyrica, Neurontin, and tollerance

I am curious to know if anyone else takes the medications Lyrica or Neurontin.  If so, have you noticed an increase in tolerance for spicy foods when you started taking it?  I think the stuff slows down nerves to prevent false signals or decrease pain.  The hot in peppers is something felt by pain receptors, so seems to make sense.  I might be imagining it.

I took Lyrica for a few years until insurance put it on the no pay list. I've been switched to Gabapentin (Neurontin) since it's cheaper and covered. Just one of the meds I'm prescribed for chronic pain. I've never really noticed a tolerance increase but I've been eating spicy food on a daily basis so long it's hard to tell.

Insurance is what caused me to wonder.  Was on Lyrica for much time.  Switched insurance companies and out the blue they decided I had to try Neurontin again before I could have the Lyrica.  After some period of time, the doctor could fill out a form or something for the insurance.  Said I tried it and it didnt work as well, so back on Lyrica.  Now seems like I use a lot more flavorful stuff.  Had blue cheese the other night, seemed flat.

It sounds like you have been dealing with pain for much time.  I am new to accepting mine is permanent.  If you have time to help a guy out with some questions, please PM me. 

Back