• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

harvesting Little November Harvest....

AlabamaJack

Extreme Member
you guys have heard us North Texans complain about the extreme summer we just went through...

here is my first "harvest" of the year...I have been picking a few cayenne and billy bikers thru the season but this is meager...

top left to right...Bulls Horn, Foodarama Scotch Bonnet, next 2 are Red Foodarama Scotch Bonnet (they have to be a cross), Fatalii
middle left to right...unknown, Red Savina, BB Jalapenos, Anaheim, Trinidad Scorpion, Bhut Jolokia
Bottom....Super Chili...as you can see, this is why I recommend them to North Texas Growers...they are loaded with larger pods that are ripening...

11-07-2011001.jpg

here is a two shots of 2008 "this time" harvest..taken on 8 Novewmber

110708a005.jpg

110808a001.jpg

2009 - taken on 8 November

110809a002.jpg

2010 - two...taken first of November...

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Each years weather effects the harvest we get here in North Texas as it does elsewhere...cooler summers = more pods...that's a fact for North Texas...and as you can see the summer of 2008 was my best year by far...

Jack, I feel your pain fellow southerner. I think we need to overwinter more plants so we can have our harvests from march til June. I have also been looking at starting peppers in july and see what happens. :crazy: Gotta change your philosophy with the weather.

I believe it,
Good cycles and bad with the weather, the forecasters here keep saying that we're going to get whacked with heaviest snow fall in year's this season in Chicago.

Hey Ronnie,
maybe the heat that you've had will bring on some "Hotter" than usual pods for ya...

Greg

Very interesting AJ. I being up north always envy you guys down south but this changes things. My gfs sister lives in DFW and said it was pretty crappy down there this summer.

I believe it,
Good cycles and bad with the weather, the forecasters here keep saying that we're going to get whacked with heaviest snow fall in year's this season in Chicago.

Hey Ronnie,
maybe the heat that you've had will bring on some "Hotter" than usual pods for ya...

Greg

Greg I think our climates are pretty similar. We have 3 extreme seasons. Usually super wet, and cold spring. Followed by a hot and humid drought. And feet of snow and sub zero temps. Seems september is our only good month besides a couple weeks on may. October was better than september this year though.

Yeah It makes texas and the southern weather not quite as appealing. Hope next year is cooler weather for you guys down there Ronnie.

Hey Ronnie,

Just a little curious on those "Foodarama's"
when you sample them I like to know if there's any difference in heat or taste.

Greg

Greg I think our climates are pretty similar. We have 3 extreme seasons. Usually super wet, and cold spring. Followed by a hot and humid drought. And feet of snow and sub zero temps. Seems september is our only good month besides a couple weeks on may. October was better than september this year though.

You're right on that and our football teams have to play in that crappy December weather and hopefully into January and with some wishful thinking, February..........ha

Greg

Jack, I feel your pain fellow southerner. I think we need to overwinter more plants so we can have our harvests from march til June. I have also been looking at starting peppers in july and see what happens. :crazy: Gotta change your philosophy with the weather.

if you let a hobby get out of hand, it can become a job...and if you grow year round, IMO that is a job...I like my 1 month break (December)...I start chinense seeds New Years eve...I won't even go into the pains overwintering brings...bugs, and man you can spend the money unless you just try and let the plants go dormant after you cut them back...I tried that last year with some scorpions and the plants are large but still no fruit...this year was just shitty...

I believe it,

Hey Ronnie,

Greg

I think that is a fact Greg...my BB jalapenos are hotter this year than I have ever had them...

Very interesting AJ. I being up north always envy you guys down south but this changes things. My gfs sister lives in DFW and said it was pretty crappy down there this summer.

Yeah It makes texas and the southern weather not quite as appealing. Hope next year is cooler weather for you guys down there Ronnie.

I will go with the flow since I don't have a choice...but if I had a choice, the delta land of south mississippi about 40 miles inland from the gulf would be the ideal growing ground for superhots...

Hey Ronnie,

Just a little curious on those "Foodarama's"
when you sample them I like to know if there's any difference in heat or taste.

Greg

gladly...I know the regular Foodaramas have typical hab type heat...but the taste they exhibit is outstanding...I like them better than Fataliis...

This was the first year I grew anything hotter than a Serrano and was sorely disappointed. Got some decent fruit set on some sweets and milds before June, but nothing much after, until September when it finally cooled off. I can now see that the weather here in DFW adversely affected everyone.
Here's to a better 2012! :woohoo:
Susan

We are in the hand of God regarding the weather. Hailstorms, hot or cold weather can ruin our plans for the season. My Habs almost died in June due to the dry and hot weather, then we had low temps during the rest of the summer, which was good for branching and setting pods, but not for ripening... Then we had mild and clear weather in September, where we used to have rains in the last years. Then the frost came in the first week of October...earlier than usual. Growing anything is like gambling. :cool:
Nice pics, AJ, amazing, as usual.
Are you going to post pictures about your Mississippi project? It was amazing to see that video and the pics! :dance:
I was showing them to all of my friends! :woohoo:

Yeah that sounds about right. :lol:

Wow AJ that isn't what I'm used to seeing in your harvest pics. Our weather was about the best we've had since I moved here 20+ years ago and I'm still picking pods. Let me know if you need some heat and I'll fix you right up.

I have no doubt you'll be up to your head in chilis next year.

Sorry to hear you've had such a tough year. I hope the next harvests are bigger. BTW, my eyes went right to one thing in your picture. :)

Chris

Sorry to hear your season has gone so poorly AJ. Hopefully the weather will be a bit more cooperative next season.

I am hoping, with my further south location, I can baby some plants through winter in the ground. An outdoor "overwinter".

I guess we will see how it works out.

Nice harvests over the years sir.

Back