• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

lighting lighting ?'s

ok I got hold of a floresent light fixture (the kind in offices, with 4 - 47" lightbulbs) & free ;)
I read you can use them to grow pepper plants, can you use the normal lightbulbs or should they all (4) be some special grow bulb, or can 2 be grow lights & the other be normal lights or would it just be a waste having the normal lights in when theres grow lights in ?

which kind of bulbs would I need for growing until its warm enough to put the plants outside ? then which kind of lights for the end of the growing season, to prolong the harvest of peppers, but not expecting more peppers to be produced just ripening whats on the plant.

& whats a good distance for the light fixture to be away from the plants ? it seems like the light fixture doesnt give off heat, also would those grow lights give off heat since its a different bulb ?

& 1 last more question, when wintering pepper plants, are they supposed to still get light sometimes or is it alright to just set them in a corner of the basement & the only light they get is if a light is on ? & yes water them once in awhile.

Fluorescent lamps of any kind will work fine.

When the lamps you have burn out, get 2 cool white (cw) lamps and two warm white (ww) lamps.

Those fluorescent grow lamps are snake oil.......

I'm willing to buy new bulbs for it. could you explain what those bulbs do, which bulbs are for growing & which are for flowering ? I'd just like to know also.
that link finder under my 1st post I looked at it(well it was there yesterday), & they call the bulbs something other than CW & WW.plus in other threads here some of you were talking about lights that are red or blue spectrum, whats with those ?
& whats the deal with you calling the floresent light fixture snake oil ? is it just a myth that you can grow pepper plants ? if you cant use them for growing then why do they sell bulbs for them. or they just dont work as good for growning ?
please share your knowledge, because I'm totally new to this indoor lighting method, before I just relyed on the sun.

chilehunter said:
& whats the deal with you calling the floresent light fixture snake oil ? is it just a myth that you can grow pepper plants ? if you cant use them for growing then why do they sell bulbs for them. or they just dont work as good for growning ?
please share your knowledge, because I'm totally new to this indoor lighting method, before I just relyed on the sun.

The fluorescent grow lights are very expensive and don't reproduce red and blue spectrum any better than ww and cw lamps. Snake oil is always on sale to lull the uninitiate, the very thing these fora are good at debunking.

Search for "daylight spectrum" on the web and then get lamps that reproduce that spectrum. Blue/green spectrum is helpful with growing chiles and red spectrum is good with fruiting/flowering chiles. CW lamps are good in the green/blue range and WW lamps are good in the red range.

Back