• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

lighting Lighting Question - 50W HPS fixture

QuadShotz

Banned
Lighting Questions - 50W HPS vs 320W MH vs 400W MH

I can get one of these for $25 NIB incl. 5 extra bulbs.

But, would it work for plants? IDK if the lens would come off or not, but I'm sure I could monkey with it.

78598864231pcs.jpg

Fixture Type - Ceiling Mount Square
Lamp Type - HPS
Watts - 50
Lamp Included - Yes
Voltage - 120V
Ballast Type - NPF
Housing - Polycarbonate
Finish - Bronze
Refractor - Polycarbonate
LxWxD - 10.00x10.00x5.00" (254x254x127mm)
Manufacturer Series - Lumasquare I -NRG

http://www.wescodirect.com/direct/Products/ProductListDetail.aspx?pik=42280&productId=42280

Would it be worth it?
Seems to me even a 50W HPS would do better than my floros.
I have no idea what the wavelengths would be though.

OR, I could pick up a 320W pulse start MH low bay fixture with a shroud and plastic enclosed bottom lense for $30.00 a piece.

OR, I could get a 400 watt MH that's already got the standard plug and such for around $40.

This one:
3nf3m23pbZZZZZZZZZ92je4419797a49217e3.jpg

I have no idea which is better, although more watts = more light eh?

All would come with bulbs though.

It's gonna have to light up a 6' x 2' x 2' area...would one of any of these be enough?

Damn confusing.
7.gif

Thx,

QS

Quad that is a big jusmp in power from standard floro lighting. Make sure you need and can handle all the extra power and heat. I find MH to be better with yound pepper plants than a HPS. I think most growers around here would just be better off with a high power CFL than a HID. Of the three choices you gave I'd buy the 400 MH because you can find grow bulbs for that size of ballast. That thing is going to put out a lot of heat with the attached ballast to the fixture and you probably won't be able to use it in the summer months at all. Sorry if I just confused you even more.

Getting to the physics of light, fluorescent gives off more heat per watt than HID lamps.......HID gives off a point source of heat so the temp will be higher, but fluorescent gives off more waste heat.

willard3 said:
Getting to the physics of light, fluorescent gives off more heat per watt than HID lamps.......HID gives off a point source of heat so the temp will be higher, but fluorescent gives off more waste heat.

go with the 400 watt MH... i got one 2 weeks ago and my seedling have taken off like crazy. they do let off heat, but it's not too terrible, although i don't have a combined ballast/reflector unit and my ballast has a cooling system in it that makes it cool to touch. good luck with whatever you decide!

Cappy (PRF) gets great results with that 400w MH he has so it's hard not to take any advice he gives. AJ gets great results with his CFL's - there are many ways to get the job done. Are you growing indoors or outdoors? If indoors, I'd get both the 320 and 400. You'll need all the light you can get if you want pods.

thats the idea..floros wont give me pods indoors.

I can only grow inside a 1 br apt...so eitehr i use big lights or I fail.

either i go big or go home. ;)

I don't pay for power, so fuk it that way..hell, i've 3 computers running now that proly take up 2 kilowatt ez.

i already bought a 20watt 6" fan that'll cool the chit outa stuff.

i etiher am gonan make these plants fruit, or toss em all and the whle idea fo growin.

not gonna waste my time and money on chit if I don't get pods.

I got a 2' tall yr-old naga..and no fruit..wtf?

Yeah, if light like this don't make it work, i'll give up adn leave growing to ppl with money and a house.

Back