• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

lighting Lighting...agh! I swore I wouldn't post this

So I want a 6500K bulb? Since I'm just getting these puppies started, I don't need a red spectrum one right? Or should I throw it in there for balance?

I used 6500K only for my babies, and they grew like a charm. 5500K MH did a better job, but it's a MH. :lol:

i use 6500 cuz i actually don't want flowers just vegetative growth, but i'll still get flowers on a couple of 'em before plant out time comes. it's not that they won't do it, it's that the lower spectrum is better...

GrumpyBear said:
i use 6500 cuz i actually don't want flowers just vegetative growth, but i'll still get flowers on a couple of 'em before plant out time comes. it's not that they won't do it, it's that the lower spectrum is better...
6500K had red in it too. if there wasn't any, it would have been just blue. yep, you'll get flowers.

Thats my opinion IGG......and it's working for me....in my germinator I use only 6500K after the seedlings stick their heads out then when I move them to the grow areas, that is when I use the combinations...remember, I am only talking 40 watt T12 fluorescents and can't speak for MH or HPS...

I use Ott-lites... I have NO idea what frequency they are, but they've been working real good so far...

I like fluorescents, they're cheap and effective. not a big fan of CFLs, though. I'm into tubes (:lol:).

something I have found is that the bulbs do NOT have the color temp on them...it is on the package plain as day but I have to mark mine with a sharpie to know which is which....if you have the key to thei different bulbs, i.e. cool white alto = XXXXK color temp you could do it...but I couldn't find it anywhere in one place so I just started marking mine when I take them out of the package.......

LUCKYDOG said:
When I bought mine it was on the pack. I dont know/have the numbers off hand from the bulb to tell you.

AGHHHH!!! There is no packaging!!!! Damn yousss!!! DAMN YOUUUUUSSS!!!!!! Sorry, where was I? Ah yes...DAAAAAAMMMNNNN YO....wait...that wasn't it... ah! I guess I may just have to go out and purchase some 6500k bulbs (not tubes) and put them in the bulb socket and use that in conjunction with the pre-existing tubes just to be safe.

don't freak IGG...it's only a thang......

My lights may be different but the 6500K are a bright, white light. The 2700K is a very soft white light. And I'm presuming the pinkish ones must be about 4000K.

Mike

seems about right Mike...the 6500s are a lot "whiter" than the 2700s...thats because of the reds contained in the 2700...thats getting pretty low.....

Just a FYI there is a one to many relationship between kelvin and spectrums.
So the visual color of the bulb does not tell you the spectrum but the combined spectrum color to the eye.
In general bluer lights will give more compact growth and more red lights will give elongative growth. Ratios are being tested in droves.
But if you use far blue alone you get dark leaves, little growth and an increase in algea on wet surfaces.

There are many spectrums of flour. for aquariums.
(Cool whites or Chroma 50) and Walmarts plant aquarium light work well together.
Home Depots plant light is the most red and is not ideal to use alone for growth.

It is suprising all or at least many bulbs have not been lined up over wheatgrass at the least to see which one alone works best.
Next they could be tested in pairs to find the ultimate spectrum.

Most bulb purchasing logic is based on 4 points of chlorophyl on a graph but this response alone is a small portion of the number of factors which stimulate, fuel and signal growth. Now- finally- posts are appearing online where LEDs in various nm are being purchased with a focus on cartenoids, UV and IR.

See http://www.greenpinelane.com
for LED growth tests.

My research on spectrums
(will be taken offline soon)

I have 4 flour all 6500k I just noticed the out put is in the 2325 lumen for each bulb and since introducing my plants into a hydro bubbler with with 4 4' flouros they havent done shat and some have died I think Im cursed at this point. I'll just keep experimenting

AGH!!!!!! The hydroponics store only had 50 feet of mylar for $40 and were out of 25 feet ($20). I only need like 5 feet. They only had high powered sodium bulbs (which would probably blow out my lighting rig). Also went to Walmart (yes, that was the last resort before ordering online) and they had ONE grow light which didn't say how many "k" it was.

So anyone have any suggestions on where I can find a regular bulb at 6500k and some mylar online?

Back