• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

let's talk cheese

Funny I never gave this thread much thought as I am a cheese bum. I just had some Somerdale Cotswold. Magnificent! It's a medium soft cheddar type with chives inbedded. Melts in your mouth with a hint of sharpness. Pricey though...$18.99 a pound.

Cheers ya'll, TB.

chuk hell said:
That's really good cheese.

The aging process causes little calcium crystals to form giving it a "crunchy" texture. One of our favorites!

yes that, rembrandt extra aged gouda, was really good!!!
I also liked that calcium crystals crunchy stuff (kinda like a mixture of sugar &/or ?) I'll be buying this stuff again.

the da vinci mediterranean style, I wont be buying this ever again! the taste/after taste is not good!

Gorgonzola on gingerbread can never be wrong. Funny thing that I never thought of adding some hot sauce or fresh chiles. Will do that next time!

I make and sell smoked chipotle cheese. Smoke a block of sharp cheddar with hickory and coals, stir in chipotle powder from the chili peppers I grow, smoke, dry and grind (leaving seeds and stems out). Form into blocks, cool, cut wrap and sometimes freeze. It is getting famous.

This is what I'm talking about!

3083218938_d50c677f0b_o.jpg

MrArboc said:
Does "FU" mean what I think it means? ;-)

Nyet...fu fu is a slang kitchen term generally used to describe a food presentation that would be labeled "hoity toity" or strictly for the elite...i.e. too sophisticated for the masses. Sometimes a compliment but most often a slur. In this case it is a generalization of the presentation in the pic and a humorous response to the pic. Silk stockings with a line up the back are elegant. Feather boa's are fu fu....

Cheers, TB.

mfm said:
I make and sell smoked chipotle cheese. Smoke a block of sharp cheddar with hickory and coals, stir in chipotle powder from the chili peppers I grow, smoke, dry and grind (leaving seeds and stems out). Form into blocks, cool, cut wrap and sometimes freeze. It is getting famous.

sounds good, are you just starting out making cheese (like small time) it'd be interesting making your own cheese.
can anyone make cheese using what they have around the house ? or do you need special equipment ? do you need to wait several months before eating the cheese ?

mrarboc - those look like they'd be good holiday snacks.

well I grabbed a shovel to dig this thread up :lol:

over the years my taste for finer cheese have grown, though I still can't stand the taste of bleu/blue cheese :sick:
I'm really into aged gouda! I would love to find some gouda that's been aged beyond 5 years.
for those that love cheese and want to order something different online checkout

http://www.igourmet.com

I've ordered from them and they're a great place to get cheese !

here's what I picked up recently (got this locally)
Vintage 5yr gouda - 1/4 wheel (rough cut little over 4 1/2 lbs)
Parmigiano Reggiano -  aged over 22 months
Alpenhaus - emmentaler  aged 120 days
threw in some beer I bought too in the pic

oh yea forgot to say this ghost cheese is pretty good for heat & a basic cheese, only mentioning this cuz its a chilehead cheese

http://www.osceolacheese.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_58&products_id=577

My favorite cheeses are the Pyrenees Mountains cheeses of France, P'tit Basque is amazing.

We live in Holmes County, Ohio and we have some amazing cheese factories here! Guggisberg for swiss varieties and Heini's for everything else. I need to make a run out there one of these days. I am a fan of all things cheese, the only exception being the scarier varieties like Limburger. Cannot do that one.

texas blues said:
I'm fantasizing about sun dried tomato chevre, whole roasted garlic cloves, and  pilot bread right now.

you finally left out the capers!!!!!! :dance:

Thanks to the many mentions here I have found the heavenliness that is Tillamook Extra Sharp Cheddar. Great on Vegetable Ritz on top of sliced fresh japs.

Tilly extry sharp is the truth!

I generally get the regular Tilly Sharp Cheddar for every day use.

The XX Sharp though is to be savored. 

A small plate of slices and a bottle of hot sauce = tres bon

Based on your professed love of Gouda I'd encourage you to check out some Spanish cheeses such as Idiazibal, Manchego, Zamorano (my spelling is likely wrong).  

I'd suggest anyone who's NOT into blue cheese to take baby steps and start with a creamy Gorgonzola - blue as hell looking but much softer and delish.

Anyone really really into blue cheeses should do themselves a favor and find some 'Roaring 40's Blue' cheese from Australia.  Delicious though quite stout, it's the cheese equivalent of Malort.  Do NOT get it on your hands.  

I'm a big cheese head. We've got a local producer of blue cheese, some of the very best I've tried. Also, there is a gourmet grocer nearby that has an AMAZING cheese selection. Got some chocolate goat cheese to go with some long stem strawberries. Best I ever had was a cheese from Amsterdam that a family friend brought back. It was a braided cheese and it tasted like Maine lobster with drawn salty butter!

SmokenFire said:
Based on your professed love of Gouda I'd encourage you to check out some Spanish cheeses such as Idiazibal, Manchego, Zamorano (my spelling is likely wrong).  

I'd suggest anyone who's NOT into blue cheese to take baby steps and start with a creamy Gorgonzola - blue as hell looking but much softer and delish.

Anyone really really into blue cheeses should do themselves a favor and find some 'Roaring 40's Blue' cheese from Australia.  Delicious though quite stout, it's the cheese equivalent of Malort.  Do NOT get it on your hands.  

I love blue cheese, i'm from australia, and never had this one..... looks like i best get to the shops

Booma said:

I love blue cheese, i'm from australia, and never had this one..... looks like i best get to the shops

I can't wait to hear your report Booma!  

Back