• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Let's ID this non-bhut

This pepper plant was bought as a bhut jolokia. I got two, one plant is 100% what I would expect. but the second is not a bhut.

Left :  Bhut Jolokia
Right: ???

aQY6Y85.jpg

Corking?

PzVtcGI.jpg

very different stems.

qlIYC43.jpg

Inside

l12P2bt.jpg

upclose.

5vJRyNy.jpg

Leaf side by side

dDzqR7X.jpg
JOn71Z6.jpg

The plants when they were little were identical. The flowers still are identical. The "odd" plant is more compact, and slightly lighter in color then the bhut. Also the leaves are flatter on the unknown plant.
It branches and buds in exactly the same pattern as the bhut plant as well. The unknown pepper set pods, and had them come ripe roughly 2 weeks more quickly than the bhut.

The odd pepper has very little scent, and it lacks the "floral" taste/smell. Aside from that it tastes a lot like bhut or a naga. Except with what I ould only call an annuum like flavor to it.

Heat wise, barely detectable. It sometimes has a prickle of heat.

Now the question is, is this a known pepper type? Or some strange hybrid?

Good luck on your search, as I have no answers. But I can tell you I am leaning towards either an annuum or possibly an annuum/bhut cross. The walls are certainly thicker, like most annuums are. 

geeme said:
Good luck on your search, as I have no answers. But I can tell you I am leaning towards either an annuum or possibly an annuum/bhut cross. The walls are certainly thicker, like most annuums are.
Personally I suspect an annuum bhut cross. It has a light annuum taste to it. But the plant looks way to much like a bhut plant, plus it has a bit of bhtu taste to it as well.

Never seen a bhut cross that was heatless before though, so that's why i'm asking if anyone has seen it before.

Cut into one the peppers today and it had full bhut perfume, and a lot of bhut taste. So yeah I really suspect these are bhut x annuum cross. Just shocked they have no heat.

Saved the seeds from that pod separately.

spicefreak said:
Sounds like a winner if it's all the Bhut flavour without the Bhut heat. Good for the general masses as Bhut flavour really is one of the better ones.

The trick will be stabilizing it. Being that I have no clue what it's crossed with. The next generation should be somewhat... interesting. But I can select for low/no heat and as close to bhut taste as I can get.

Back