• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Lemon Grass Tea

Lemon Grass, we had these plants when I was growing up, knee high to a grass hopper. I loved the scent so much, I'd roll up a blade of the grass into a little ball, and then put it in my nose so I could smell it for a long time.

These days, though I'm tempted, I don't do that any longer. I just made some tea, no sweetener on ice. I'm thinking all it needs is a bit of Vodka, and this just may be the best drink ever.

Place a chopped up handful of lemon grass in about a quart or two of water and boil. Fill large pitcher with ice. Repeat two times pouring the boiled tea onto the ice. After the first batch refill the pitcher with ice and repeat.

3711662092_5986aa63de.jpg

It's interesting the different ways cultures use plants like this. We, mexicans, use the green tops for tea, asian and other cultures use the bottom white part for cooking.

The reverse is true for green onion.

We had all kinds of these plants in our back yard, this is the only way we ever used it. I love it in asian cooking as well, there is a chicken satay I've had at a vietnamese place in town that is awesome. They use the lemon grass to marinade and also as a kind of rub on the chicken, it's really good.

I'm lazy, got an iced tea maker for my birthday...
My wife complained that I don't drink anything but diet coke and beer...
you've inspired me to get a bunch of lemongrass and give it a shot. Looks great!

FD

Back