• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering LEDs for Overwintering?

I'm planning ahead and looking for lights to overwinter some of pepper plants this year. I will probably have little to no natural light available so the plants would rely on these lights for virtually all of their light. Would and LED setup do the trick for overwintering a few plants?

ThePepperGrowingMan said:
I'm planning ahead and looking for lights to overwinter some of pepper plants this year. I will probably have little to no natural light available so the plants would rely on these lights for virtually all of their light. Would and LED setup do the trick for overwintering a few plants?

dead_thread.jpg

Yes they will work!

I personally think you would be doing just as well to buy a T5 flourescent fixture with a decent grow bulb, to over winter. Or you could use one of the "disposable" T5 HO fixtures they sell at larger pet stores for planted or salt water tanks for about $15. And these put off a great spectrum for growth, but not so much for pod production.

I have a 90W LED grow light I'm using, works ok, wish it worked a little better.

DSC01737.JPG

The above pic was taken in December last year. The plants grew fine, and they got a hell of a lot bigger than that, just didnt get many flowers or fruit. Not sure if its the lack of wattage, or the LED frequencies used, or if I didnt give it enough time to progress on its own.

I dont think it was the LED's fault, I just have little patience :)

rds040800 said:
I personally think you would be doing just as well to buy a T5 flourescent fixture with a decent grow bulb, to over winter. Or you could use one of the "disposable" T5 HO fixtures they sell at larger pet stores for planted or salt water tanks for about $15. And these put off a great spectrum for growth, but not so much for pod production.

Thanks, I'll check out a T5 as well. A friend of mine suggested the same last night.

Thanks to others for the LED info, very helpful.

Check out this article. CLICK HERE

I considered them initially because of the low operating cost, but strayed away from them when I found out how much they cost and how unreliable they are because they are still a new technology.

The article answered all my questions from a technology standpoint unlike most websites that are trying to sell you. One sentence really stood out in the article
"with present LED lighting technology featured, it will not produce the heavy yields that HID gardeners are accustomed to. If your expectations are reasonable, and next generation LED lighting is used, you might be very satisfied to produce a small crop to supplement your diet using a minimal amount of power,"

I'm not looking for a small crop I'm looking to break the roof off of my grow room with monster plants that will scare small children so I went with a HID setup instead. Either way good luck with your setup.

Back