• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

lighting LED Lighting: How Much is Too Much?

Here are my 3 plants in my tiny tent under LEDs.

20150429_204136.jpg

Here is a closeup of my shishito flowering and podding.

20150429_204205.jpg

Neuage said:
Here are my 3 plants in my tiny tent under LEDs.

20150429_204136.jpg

Here is a closeup of my shishito flowering and podding.

20150429_204205.jpg

Those peppers look pretty darn good for the amount of light you are giving them.  Nice!

UPDATE:

So, I wanted to touch back with you all and let you know that I got my GalaxyHydro lights, but had to return the shipping box, due to it having extreme signs of being dropped.  After informing Amazon about this, I started thinking, maybe I need to put a little more thought into my light(s).

Made some phone calls and talked to some extremely help and very educated people.  After narrowing down the fact that I want to continue to grow a max of 4 plants in my 5ft x 5ft grow area, I was informed that I really only need about 600-700 true wattage to give enough PAR for growth and flower/fruit.

With the above and much more information (in the form of chicken scratch while on the phone), I'm changing my focus from GalaxyHydro (the brand) to other brands like this:

http://advancedledlights.com/3w-led-grow-lights/new-diamond-series-xml-10w-cree-xml/

marko5370_logo_wmtile_v2__44069.1410917408.1280.1280.jpg

This is only one of the lights I'm looking at.  The wife has increased my budget to allow a "buy it right the first time" type of purchase. 

I do understand a lot of folks are building and developing their own LED solution.  I'd love to but don't have the time to invest into the development of a "science project".

So, what are your thoughts on LED systems like the one above?  Black Dog? Lumigrow? California Lightworks?

dlsolo said:
Those peppers look pretty darn good for the amount of light you are giving them.  Nice!

UPDATE:

So, I wanted to touch back with you all and let you know that I got my GalaxyHydro lights, but had to return the shipping box, due to it having extreme signs of being dropped.  After informing Amazon about this, I started thinking, maybe I need to put a little more thought into my light(s).

Made some phone calls and talked to some extremely help and very educated people.  After narrowing down the fact that I want to continue to grow a max of 4 plants in my 5ft x 5ft grow area, I was informed that I really only need about 600-700 true wattage to give enough PAR for growth and flower/fruit.

With the above and much more information (in the form of chicken scratch while on the phone), I'm changing my focus from GalaxyHydro (the brand) to other brands like this:

http://advancedledlights.com/3w-led-grow-lights/new-diamond-series-xml-10w-cree-xml/

marko5370_logo_wmtile_v2__44069.1410917408.1280.1280.jpg

This is only one of the lights I'm looking at.  The wife has increased my budget to allow a "buy it right the first time" type of purchase. 

I do understand a lot of folks are building and developing their own LED solution.  I'd love to but don't have the time to invest into the development of a "science project".

So, what are your thoughts on LED systems like the one above?  Black Dog? Lumigrow? California Lightworks?
Thanks! I heard of those companies mentioned, and I was VERY close to buying the GalaxyHydro, but decided not to. I heard good things about California Lightworks, but they are pricey.

I think ultimately you have to go with what works for you. Space, budget, etc. Mine was a science experiment, since I had to buy a bunch of miscellaneous parts to make it work. I thought I could grow 4 plants in my 2'x2' area, but as you can see, they will outgrow them soon. I will keep growing them in the tent until sooner or later the plant will become too large and/or the light won't penetrate the canopy and I will move them outside. My goal was to keep them short maybe like 2' ish, and keep trimming them to allow light to penetrate, but these plants have a mind of their own and get big! I prefer to keep these indoors, so I will work on it.

Either way you go, it'll be fun! Remember, LED produces little heat and I've noticed I water less than people with other setups. If you give the right environmental conditions (light, temp, etc), you will see fruits. Lighting is only one component, but I'm sure any of those LEDs will work fine. GL and keep us updated on what you go with! :-)

@Neuage Thanks for the reply.  Yeah, California Lightworks is on the expensive side, but after a quick phone call to them, I think they will be the source of my lighting solution.  As for Black Dog LED, through some additional research, I came across a company called MARS Hydro.  Now, understand they are a China-based company, the bang for the buck for LED lighting was interesting. 

Going back to the fact I want to grow 4-6 hot pepper plants from seedling to fruit, the amount of PAR necessary to achieve that, I could by two (2) of the MARS II 1600W systems and still come in under one of the California Lightworks Solar Storm 880W systems.  Understanding the quality of the MARS II is and could be questionable, but they seems to honor their customers.  If that was the way I go, I'd be rockin' around 1600W of total LED power.  That should be enough and then some.

Anyone know if you need UVB for hot peppers?

So, wanted to give you all a little update.  

After hours of research and phone calls, I decided to go with Mars Hydro Reflector series LED lights.  I purchased two (2) of the 192x3W lights and I purchased a Gorilla Grow Tent (4ft x 8ft) to put the lights in.  The wife is digging the professional look I'm going for and has authorized these transactions.

Now, for the LED grow lights, I know they aren't Platinum LED or California Lightworks, but everyone using them have praised their price and light intensity.  I didn't go with the MARS II due to the additional heat the 5W LEDs put off.  PLUS, I think I'm gonna order two (2) more of those 192x3W to full the entire tent with awesome light.  

I'm moving my seedling start ups into the tent, off to the side, to centralize the growing process.  The boarding light from the LEDs will be enough to give the seedlings and new sprouts the light they need to get stronger for transplant.

All in all, $800 bucks later and I'm a happy camper.  Once everything is set up, I'll post some pics.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

The Gorilla Grow Tent and the LED lights are up and running.  I have to finish up some power strips and get my propagation shelf and heat pads up and running.  Once done, I'll work on getting my DWC running.  I've gotta start a couple plants to grow in them.  BTW, the LED lights are intense.  Just on the grow setting, they are pretty darn amazing.  Here are some pics...

IMG_20150520_122226.jpg

IMG_20150521_142031.jpg

IMG_20150521_142046.jpg

IMG_20150521_142055.jpg

Here's some more pics of the setup.  My new DWC parts show up this week... rebuilding my setup to fit the classy-ness of the grow tent/led lights.

IMG_20150523_163824.jpg

IMG_20150523_163934.jpg

Texas Bird Peppers

IMG_20150523_164009.jpg

If I may. You need to lower those lights. The benefit of led is not raw efficiency but that they last longer and the heat can be directed from the plants if you are going to go high hid might be better. Granted I haven't looked at this in years

frosty said:
If I may. You need to lower those lights. The benefit of led is not raw efficiency but that they last longer and the heat can be directed from the plants if you are going to go high hid might be better. Granted I haven't looked at this in years

Hey Frosty,

I hear ya.  But, because of the intensity of these lights, I need my plants to get use to the spectrum.  I've heard people burning their plants because they are too close.  I can't afford to burn any of my seedlings as they supply veggies for the family, I'm crawl, walk, running, with this new setup.

Also, because their is effectively 900W of LED light being radiated, it's more than these current plants need and moving closer isn't always a good thing.

Just my thought...

dlsolo said:

because their is effectively 900W of LED light being radiated

More like 400-500.

I had 5w LEDs that put out half a watt of light. Even if you double that and call it "effective" light its not even close to the power draw.

Heckle said:

More like 400-500.

I had 5w LEDs that put out half a watt of light. Even if you double that and call it "effective" light its not even close to the power draw.

Before putting my tent in it's permanent position, my power measurements showed that I average 277W per light, (in VEG mode) over three (3) LED lights.  I'm averaging 409W (in VEG/BLOOM mode) per light, over three (3) LED lights.

Next weekend, I'm pull my tent to put permanent power meters (Kill A Watt Meters) so I can monitor all the stuff in the tent (fan, heat mats, circulating fans, etc...)

JUST THROWING THIS OUT THERE...

I would first invest the 30 bux in this   http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005A0ETXY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

That will allow you to position lights correctly. 25k lumens is a nice sweet spot. Try to get as much of the area to that as possible.

Now, outside of the realm of LED, I have personally seen a set up of two of these WAY outdo my 615 watt HPS    
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HBCV8TM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2QD4LUOJVZ011&coliid=I3L8M0BQKNDH53

Do what you will with that information, it is free :)

@dlsolo You must be single :) lol - I am only playing, but my wife would NEVER let me put up a tent of that size in the middle of our living/dining room (I love it btw)

mrgrowguy said:
JUST THROWING THIS OUT THERE...

I would first invest the 30 bux in this   http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005A0ETXY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

That will allow you to position lights correctly. 25k lumens is a nice sweet spot. Try to get as much of the area to that as possible.

Now, outside of the realm of LED, I have personally seen a set up of two of these WAY outdo my 615 watt HPS    
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HBCV8TM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2QD4LUOJVZ011&coliid=I3L8M0BQKNDH53

Do what you will with that information, it is free :)

@dlsolo You must be single :) lol - I am only playing, but my wife would NEVER let me put up a tent of that size in the middle of our living/dining room (I love it btw)

HAHA, definitely not single, and just became a brand new father!!!!

The tent is in our sun room, which we don't really use a lot because it's shaded by some huge trees outside.  We grow a lot of veggies, all year around.  Between starting seedlings, to growing veggies via soil and hydroponics, we grow a lot.  The tent just allows us to have one central location for all growing operations.  With the grow lights, it really allows me to grow more indoors, all year long, and keep certain things available at all times (i.e., lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, and hot peppers!

This project was long over due and now we've got the setup to allow much more to be done and it all to be kept tidy and centrally located.  I tell you what, that sun room has never been this clean, haha.  Seed trays, grow lights, humidity domes, bags of seed starter, pots, and other items, scattered all over the place.

I'm loving the setup!

BREAK BREAK

For the lumens meter, I was thinking about that.  I'm looking for a good PAR meter that will do the job and help focus the light more efficiently. Right now, I'm using the 3-4' above plants as my "playing it safe".  With, now, three of those LED lights shining bright, I really don't want to burn my plants, and new seedlings.  I'll look into that meter.  Thanks for the tip!

dlsolo said:

HAHA, definitely not single, and just became a brand new father!!!!

The tent is in our sun room, which we don't really use a lot because it's shaded by some huge trees outside.  We grow a lot of veggies, all year around.  Between starting seedlings, to growing veggies via soil and hydroponics, we grow a lot.  The tent just allows us to have one central location for all growing operations.  With the grow lights, it really allows me to grow more indoors, all year long, and keep certain things available at all times (i.e., lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, and hot peppers!

This project was long over due and now we've got the setup to allow much more to be done and it all to be kept tidy and centrally located.  I tell you what, that sun room has never been this clean, haha.  Seed trays, grow lights, humidity domes, bags of seed starter, pots, and other items, scattered all over the place.

I'm loving the setup!

BREAK BREAK

For the lumens meter, I was thinking about that.  I'm looking for a good PAR meter that will do the job and help focus the light more efficiently. Right now, I'm using the 3-4' above plants as my "playing it safe".  With, now, three of those LED lights shining bright, I really don't want to burn my plants, and new seedlings.  I'll look into that meter.  Thanks for the tip!

Congrats! me too, my boy is now 10 months.

I have a sun room also, but mine cooks in there. Not connected to the central AC.

Best of luck to you!

Back