• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

soil Leaves close to the soil

Some of my peppers especially the Datils and Fatalis have so many leaves branching off the main stem really close to the mulch.

Is it better to remove them or is it better to keep them? If all of you remove them how many inches up do you go from soil line up the plant? (2-3 inches)

Thanks

if they look good y remove em?

Great question. I guess I got confused because my neighbor told me I needed to remove the leaves on all my tomato plants that were low to the soil. ( something to do with more energy for the plant to grow more and so the tomatoes weren't growing on the ground). My mom also take everything off her plants from the soil level up 2 or 3 inches. ( not sure why she does maybe because it looks clean?)

SNIP SNIP
that is just one more way for bugs to climb up, its also a place for moisture and bad bactiria to grow. The nutrient intake from those leaves will now go to the new growth.

As for the Energy argument, you need light for photosynthesis, typically the bottom leaves don't get a lot of light ;)

This method is called lollipopping and is used a lot by canna growers... so I hear.

Do a quick google and you will see what I mean.
F it I did it for you:
https://www.google.c...0.0.je_pL2C3MqE

EDIT: you only need to go 4-6" is all and I like to let shoots from the bottom go up first.

CIMG0071-1.jpg

I'd definitely cut the leaves. Like a couple of other people have said on this thread, the less the leaves, the more growth/peppers.

I disagree. If the leaves are receiving sunlight they are causing photosynthesis, not robbing the plant of energy.
If they are diseased looking or not receiving any sunlight I would remove them otherwise I leave them alone as snipping off more leaves can possibly bring about a bacterial growth where the cut is made as well.

This method is called lollipopping and is used a lot by canna growers... so I hear.

Yes and other canna growers say leave the leaves on so it's hard to know who to believe. :banghead:

ive been doing some snip snip to all my plants recently that had low foliage growing, not sure why i had just assumed it was taking the plants energy tbut i had always wondered if it was doing the plant any good

Generally a pepper plant site for potential leaves will only grow the leaf if enough sun is hitting the stem to activate that site, so yes it will get "some" sun and help a little. On the other hand if there are a lot of bugs or soggy soil then the leaves may cause problems. On the other hand in hot sunny climates it helps to have the leaves shade the soil to reduce its temperature and water loss.

So, depends on the specific situation what to do.

There are 2 parts to the "energy" photosynthesis is only 1/2 of it. The root system is the other part of it. look at Overwintered plants, some people cut almost all the leaves off and the plant still grows back. A small hand full of leaves at the base isn't going to hurt production, all its going to do is redirect the nutrient intake to other parts of the plant. In nature Pods are not meant to be harvested by humans ;) they are meant to fall and fertilizes the soil for the seeds and also be food for animals that will spread the seeds by pooping it out. Nature doesn't care if your pods are infested with bugs. Nature cares about perpetual growth.

The in nature argument doesn't always work. If it did we only be eating local plants :rolleyes: that we pick our self.
I am all for organic as you all know, but there is a difference between plants in nature and plants you are planing on eating. To be honest we are talking about maybe like 10 leaves total out of hundreds. I don't think you should be cutting leaves off a small plant, but for larger plants it makes plenty of since. You want plenty of airflow down there, or you are inviting mildew, bacteria, bugs, and all sorts of stuff. Think of it as good hygiene for your plants. If your plants have dreads like Ras Trent they may get bugs :P

I'm not talking about cutting off all the leaves up to 10", Im talking about just the ones that will be hitting the ground. I have a problem with snails at my house and that is one thing that compost tea doesn't seem to help so far. Those bastards will shred a plant over night. So every bit of protection helps.

If the leaf is turning say going yellow then snip it, if its a nice shade of green why the hell would you cut it off?!? Yellowing leaves are stressed and should be snipped, here in the swamp yellow attracts white flies so I get rid of em asap, my rule of thumb is never cut off a healthy appendage. Tomato growers snip off things called suckers, they are new stems starting to form that are not needed, pepper plants do not suffer from this condition unless there is stress happening, see how after I twisted 3 plants together 1 shot a new stem straight up? Stress caused it, so the theory goes....
IMG_0124.jpg

Back