• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Leaves are turning purple, then brown

The leaves of my Hot Paper Lantern are turning purple, then brown. The seed leaves were worse affected and eventually fell off. Pictures are attached. Does this look like a mineral deficiency or too much light? I am growing serranos right next to them and they were also affected, although appear better now.

001oym.jpg

002hmx.jpg

This has happened to several of my seedlings, some are completely deep-purple but are growing and looking just as good as the rest! I have 3 bhuts up and 2 of the 3 are deep purple. All 3 are in the exact same growing conditions. I think its ok.

Also a lot of my cotlyedons have fallen off, and they are similar size to yours. I think its somewhat normal for cotyledons to fall off once the plant doesn't need them any more? But i'm no expert ;)

It's normal for the seed leaves to fall off. The leaves turning purple is also normal and is caused by lots of light. I have a number of plants that this has happened to. It's nothing to worry about although they do look like they could use a shot of epsom salt.

While it is normal for the stem and veins to turn purple, leaves turning purple is a sign of Phosphorus (Phosphate) Deficiency.

Agree with Richardk. Just because it happens often doesn't mean it's normal. It's a sign that something isn't quite right with the growing conditions.

I have had a couple of my plants do this same thing, they seem to be growing much more slowly than the others also. I did try giving them a fairly large dose (normal dilution instead of extra diluted) of the fertilizer I am using (10-15-10) but it didn't seem to make a difference.

I didn't try a whole lot else...just said screw it, left them be, and treated them like the rest of the plants. They are still smaller...where some of the other plants have like 7-8 sets of leaves, these only have 2 maybe 3 sets.

Back