• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

harvesting Last Harvest of 2010

Well, after the Steelers game and before the Bears game I'm going to pull the rest of the chiles from the garden :( Had frost advisory here last night - doesn't seem to have really affected anything, but we're in for more tonight. So, I figure that its just a matter of time. That, coupled with plans to be away for the next couple of weekends drive the decision to call it quits for 2010. Picked these this morning (actually I picked the 7 Pots last night in the dark) and thought that I would share my last harvest of what was a great year (for me at least) of growing chiles. I think that I may bring 2 of them in for the winter - never done this before so I'll need some advise on what to do.

Some mild ones:

P1020057.jpg

And some that are packing a bit more heat:

P1020059.jpg

Wow, frost advisory for you already! I feel like taking mine out of the earthboxes, but knowing me
I'll wait til frost kills them. I'm only bringing in the red marzano for overwintering since I did not
get any peppers from it this year, too hot. Are those Anaheim peppers on the top right? I grew
the NuMex Heritage 6-4, really good. Next year will grow Heritage6-4 and Heritage Big Jim. I
want enough to roast and freeze for winter...
I did overwinter a Jalapeno last year in my Sunroom. It did get a little bit of spider mites on it, at
least that's what I think it was. I did not prune the plant at all. If I was to do it again, I think I
would heavily prune it, then overwinter. It still produced well this year, but not any better than
a new plant would have been. That's why I'm not over wintering it again. Anyway I'm going to
be growing the giant jalapeno, and will maybe try the Billy Biker next year. Goodluck with your
over wintering.

the ones on the top right are anaheims. i bought a single plant at home depot and it literally went wild. not only did they support a summer of grilling, i already have four 1 gallon bags full and in the freezer.

Back