• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

lighting L.E.D lights??

Has anyone had any experience with led grow lights, I have been doing research and they look like they will outperform others.

It does look promising.
What troubles me is lumen output.
Get enough of the right LEDs, and you're set to go.

I'm actually working on a portable mini-greenhouse concept, and I think I'll use LEDs.

Let me know how it works out. Ebay has a 225 build led going for around 50 bucks, it will work for 6 sq ft. There is a 900 bulb on there going for around 150 I think. That is a lot of space for the money. They recommend using them in conjunction with fluorescents.

I was looking at an article on ebay and they say lumens has nothing to do with growth, that is just how bright is seems to the eye, because plants only use a tiny amount of the full spectrum. I am kinda skeptical but never know.

Go to ebay and search grow lights, then find the 225 or 900 and read all the bs they are putting on there about it, there is like 9 pages, it is funny if you ask me. That was a good article Omri.

Why are they using blue and red LEDs only?
Isn't the fact you can use ALL viable lights, what's so great about LEDs?
You need some more yellow, green and orange lights.
In fact, orange light contribute more to chlorophyll activity than red.
You need to play with all kind of colors and their shades.

Omri said:
Why are they using blue and red LEDs only?
Isn't the fact you can use ALL viable lights, what's so great about LEDs?
You need some more yellow, green and orange lights.
In fact, orange light contribute more to chlorophyll activity than red.
You need to play with all kind of colors and their shades.

I did some research a while back when I was looking at the red mulches that are supposed to ripen your tomatoes faster. I stumbled across an article that discussed the effects of different colors on crop growth. I'll see if I can find it again, but I do remember that different wavelengths of light do stimulate different types of growth on some crops. Even within the red spectrum there were differences, and I remember struggling to find which company carried which type of red plastic mulch, because some would work, and some wouldn't.

Nice and vague, huh? I will try and find that article when I have a few minutes.

Hey, I used the red mulch last year but its a bit of a pain using plastic especially with high winds. Maybe I'll try it in the greenhouse this year.

sdw79 said:
I was looking at an article on ebay and they say lumens has nothing to do with growth, that is just how bright is seems to the eye, because plants only use a tiny amount of the full spectrum. I am kinda skeptical but never know.

I have a suggestion.....stop reading on Ebay for scientific/engineering information. Lighting is a lot more complicated than that.

LOL agree with willard .....all on ebay is magic acording to the seller !? ebay is a good place to buy but you should know what you want .....to me leds are just to expensive for a poor lumen output ...the for indoor grow light is HCFL light like ( Envirolite,Smartlite..ect..)with 100%PAR and if you want big result use HPS or MH light with cooltube a lil more complicat but a lot more lumen

POTAWIE said:
Hey, I used the red mulch last year but its a bit of a pain using plastic especially with high winds. Maybe I'll try it in the greenhouse this year.

I actually bought some to try, but we were having drought conditions. I didn't want to miss out on any rain, so help off putting it out, and then it was too late. I do want to give it a try, though.

now IGG would like to mix LSD and peppers I betcha

There was a good discussion on here a few months ago. I did quite a bit of research on lighting and the biggest factor seemed to be PAR (Photosynthetic Activity Radiation). Not lumens, not watts, but how much of a light sprectrum is used by the plants.

The mulches (or plastics) are supposed to play a factor but realistically have very little effect once the plant gets very big, unless it is isolated. I used the red plastic this summer but because I didn't have acres of room to spare, after a few weeks, it was shaded by foliage, so very little light was reflected/absorbed. (A side note - white plastic is supposed to be great for potatoes, as it directs light that encourage root growth, or something like that!).

If you can do a Google search for NASA, plant growth, PAR and similar terms, you should be able to come across a very in-depth article about the merits of different lights, though NASA considered energy usage as a high priority. The study related to colonizing Mars, where growing food would be key to survival, since it would cost too much to ship them a care package every month.

Mike

LUCKYDOG said:
You have to eat some then it is multicolored and has tracers and you see this guy gardening for you
Bwahahaha, see, this just goes to show I need to read all threads more often because sometimes I miss this stuff. Freakin' hilarious (I showed my mom and she laughed her ass off).

AlabamaJack said:
now IGG would like to mix LSD and peppers I betcha
Actually, LSD is sort of a razor's edge thing. I probably wouldn't recomend doing larger doses of LSD and then something that will induce pain (peppers). Now in small doses, I would probably say go for it. Since I'm currently only going to be doing incresingly larger doses, someone else may have to pick up the slack on that one and reposrt back. ;)

While I'm posting in this thread it reminds me of something my friend Dave Reed said. He always wondered if placing the plants in a closed or extremely dark place and exposing the plants to intense bursts of light (once every few seconds, LED or light bulb) would cause the plants to grow faster or stonger.

Back