• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Kangaroo Help

Should I get the Kangaroo Medallion (6-4oz count) 1.5 lb. Package or the angaroo Loin Fillet, Avg. 2.0 lb. Package?
http://www.exoticmeatsandmore.com/kangaroo.aspx
And how in the hell do I cook roo?

not sure what cut to get - either sounds ok.. you dont want to cook it too much.. hot grill, a minute or two each side and you'll be sweet :)

The Medallion will be a fattier cut than the loin i believe. Heaps of flavour in fat ;)

Yeah don't over-cook it, you want it rare otherwise it will be as tough as nails.

Yeah either eat it rare/very rare or slow cook it on a grill, curry or stir fry for 8 or 9 hours, no more than 9 hours, less than 8 hours it will be stringy in texture.

i have never seen kangaroo meat here, nor alligator but i did purchase both an elk roast and ostrich both had me on google for a long time looking on just the right cooking method, both are very lean meats. maybe i'll do another search to see if i can get alligator, snake or some other products not native to canada. i had frog legs once, it was at an all-you-eat chinese buffet.

I eat Skippy every week. I'm addicted to the flavour and tenderness. Its so awesome the next day in wraps!

Go here http://www.macromeats-gourmetgame.com.au/ for all Skippy meats info and a free kangaroo cook book. I but the roasts and roast them. The steaks can be a hit and miss with heats and times. The roasts are 100% always perfect.

If roasting don't be to shocked when finished cooking and it looks raw. Wrap it in foil, rest for 15 mins and its perfect ( for a roast ) less for a steak.

yeah , it's a quick cook thing. there's a japanese resturaunt that serves it here in the summer. i'm not sure why a japanese place serves aussie animals but i had to try it. whatever they marinate it in is off the hook! i taste the mirin and rice vinegar , lemon grass , garlic , a little soythe ingredients were a guess but i think i'm pretty accurate with it. they grilled it really fast. only problem is it had so much asian flare that i don't really know what other meat it reminds me of. it was really good though. hope it works out for you!

Kangaroo is such an un-used meat, just like camel, Australia has the largest Kangaroo & Camel populations in the world.
Camel isn't quite as particular as roo, you can cut it up into stir fry or curry pieces, slow cook for around about 2.5 hours. Very nice! A roast would be no different.
Kangaroo is also really nice, usually rare, or you could slow cook it for 8 hours after cutting it up. I cut the steaks up into stir fry strips and used them in a curry, me and my cousin did experiment with this and 8 hours is optimal time for Kangaroo if you don't want it rare and in something more well known, it could be a suitable replacement used in beef stroganoff for example :)

Love Roo, as everyone else has mentioned rare is best.
Goes well with a nice plum jam... or jelly or whatever you call it in the USA.

Back