• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Junior Seau died from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound

Horrible news. I've been to many charger games and live in OC and have seen him around a few times. Not sure if it's a suicide or not.

Former NFL linebacker Junior Seau died from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound Wednesday, according to police. He was 43.
A handgun was found near his body in a bedroom of his Oceanside, California, home by officers responding to an emergency call from a woman who said she was Seau's girlfriend, Oceanside Police Chief Frank McCoy said.
She told police she returned to the home about 9:30 a.m. and found Seau "unconscious, suffering from a gunshot wound to the chest," McCoy said.

full article here.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/02/sport/nfl-seau-dead/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

I heard an interesting NPR piece yesterday (it was a podcast, so it was actually on the radio a few weeks ago) talking about head injuries to football players and the problems they can later cause, like suicidal ideation and depression. Coincidence?

RIP, Junior. I loved watching you play the game.

It sucks when people take their own life. Stupid with a capital S.

I heard there has been five NFL suicides in the past seven years. There may be something to the head injury theory. One of the recent suicides the guy shot himself in the chest just like Junior and left a suicide note saying to examine his brain. I guess they found some issues but nothing conclusive came from it. You have to wonder if Junior was thinking the same thing. I feel for his family.

It may be head injuries or it may be head problems. These guys live like kings, wealth comes almost instantly, the have fans and the have huge egos. When the money and the fans go, most realize the minute in the spotlight is over, they cannot handle it.

Just my thoughts.

I heard an interesting NPR piece yesterday (it was a podcast, so it was actually on the radio a few weeks ago) talking about head injuries to football players and the problems they can later cause, like suicidal ideation and depression. Coincidence?

RIP, Junior. I loved watching you play the game.

NPR is a joke, no need to speculate on a suicide unless your a talking head who needs ratings.

Suicides are becoming almost epidemic where I live, lately.

The most eloquent obit I've read...this week....

.....she suffered from recurring clinical depression..........she succubmed to the illness on Wednesday......

Whether it be injury, illness, or circumstance....suicide is always torture for the loved ones. A priest told me once, " No man can know, nor judge, when another has reached their limit". As a mere mortal.....I choose not to judge. Not my job.

RIP Junior.

It may be head injuries or it may be head problems. These guys live like kings, wealth comes almost instantly, the have fans and the have huge egos. When the money and the fans go, most realize the minute in the spotlight is over, they cannot handle it.

Just my thoughts.

I think there may be more to this theory than many people realise. After all, what does any professional sportsperson add to society that is of any importance or worth?
Play for the love of the game by all means but i am a firm believer that everybody should be a productive member of society, i cannot see that in professional sports.

I feel for his family and like Patrick said suicide IS stupid with a capital S.

I think there may be more to this theory than many people realise. After all, what does any professional sportsperson add to society that is of any importance or worth?
Play for the love of the game by all means but i am a firm believer that everybody should be a productive member of society, i cannot see that in professional sports.

I feel for his family and like Patrick said suicide IS stupid with a capital S.

Sir, me and you see the world the same way.

I refuse to attend any professional sport, I do not wear any sports gear at all. I will attend high school sports, it is unspoiled.

I may be an unusual male....professional sports hold no spell over me. Leaves more time for peppers and tropical fish.

Respectively I'm sorry. While I agree a TON of professional ball players are paid an insane amount of money, it is what it is. As for not adding to society anything of importance or worth?? Well that's just plain hogwash.

Most have charities they give some of their money to as well as raise money for, go visit sick children with terminal diseases who love the sport or player to try and lift their spirits.... and on top of that, a lot, not all, (I'm sure all chiliheads/growers/lovers are not pillars of society either) are good role models for kids to be active, have a goal to make a living within the law, give hope that they can be something, stay in school etc etc etc.

So to say they don't add anything to society of worth at all because they play sports or are 'overpaid'/paid a lot of money, or because a few have committed suicide..... is just not true nor fair to the players who do a lot for their country and or community.

Nice way for a couple of folks to turn the OP's thread into a 'anyone who plays sports is a ticking time bomb and over paid brats who do no good in this world'....... wow. :/

Just my opinion and thoughts of course.

RIP Jr. and peace be to his family.

And i respect your opinions and thoughts as much as i do anyone elses sknxll.

Edit: Just for clarification i didn't say "anyone that plays sports". I was reffering to professional sports.

That is why the internet is a cool place. You can hear opinions that differ from your own. And whether I agree or not is umimportant, the fact is that everyone can express themselves.

Serial woman beater! If this guy was a doctor who saved hundreds of lives this thread would not exist. I know firsthand the anger and sorrow suicide brings. I also remember trading for his "Pro set" rookie football card when I was still naive enough to think these guys were better than me.

That is why the internet is a cool place. You can hear opinions that differ from your own. And whether I agree or not is umimportant, the fact is that everyone can express themselves.

Very true, as comical as your statements are, it is your opinion/s.

Serial woman beater! If this guy was a doctor who saved hundreds of lives this thread would not exist. I know firsthand the anger and sorrow suicide brings. I also remember trading for his "Pro set" rookie football card when I was still naive enough to think these guys were better than me.

:shh: No need to pop a vein. I saw your earlier post about him being a "serial woman beater".. :rolleyes:

Very true, as comical as your statements are, it is your opinion/s.

:shh: No need to pop a vein. I saw your earlier post about him being a "serial woman beater".. :rolleyes:

Just like your interpretation of comedy..........an opinion, yours.

Just my thoughts.

I think this may be a big part of it. I mean in 2006 he retired then came back. The he retired again in 09 and got arrested for a domestic violence charge and then drove his car off a cliff?? I'm sure it's very humbling and they probably just don't know what to do with their lives after the game they have played all their lives is over. I think it's a big reason why some retire multiple times. If they have a strong since of family, with kids, and purpose I don't think they would be looking at a gun. I read he was divorced and not close to his kids and ended up dating a girl half his age and living the party life.

Just like your interpretation of comedy..........an opinion, yours.

Oook. You just supported your own point about opinions and why the internet is a "cool place". :D

I'm not a certified therapist and I don't believe everything I read or hear in the news.....and, I'm not perfect either. :halo:
Some people might be great at raising tropical fish, etc.. but are total :censored: train wrecks when it comes to having a stable personal life or lack the sense given to a rock. :D

Junior Seau was a great football player who was not perfect and was reported to have taken his own life. I can see how that sets the stage for card carrying pro sports/athlete haters... :/

Moving on.....

Back