• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

media Jiffy pellets with DWC

SadisticPeppers

Business Member
It seems my green thumb has turned brown when it comes to doing the cutting method. I'm giving the cuttings I did the other day a couple more days just in case, but truth be told, I'm not holding out much hope...

That being said though, it occurred to me this morning I should go back to my tried & true method of germinating seeds with Jiffy Pellets, which I've had a reasonably good level of success. However, I'm wondering if that's something that would be OK to use in a DWC system. Has anyone by any chance tried this, or those who have had more experience with DWC than me, would it be OK to use the pellets in a DWC?

google searched. says to rinse off the peat and put into rockwool once it germinates. this was a cannabis growing website, but i can't imagine pepper growing is terribly different when it comes to germinating. it says that the loose particles will clog the pump. i have no experience with dwc/hydro growing but that's what i read.

Duly noted, thanks birdfather! :) I'll give that a whirl if the cuttings I do fail to materialize and thrive

I have a friend that grows canna for a caregivers collective, and he uses jiffy pucks in his hydro. Once to roots come out the bottom, place in a net pot with a layer of hydroclay underneath. Shouldn't cause too many problems if you're using a bubble bucket.

I've never had luck growing peppers from seed using Jiffy pellets. I plan to go back to just sticking them in an organic soilless medium when it is time to start my seeds next year.

Thanks for the advice, guys :)

I did actually, and had better luck with the peat. Must be something in the air :P

You would be better off using rapid rooters. Then you can place them directly into your system without any hassle or cleaning required.

I put jiffy's straight into net pots and filled them with hydroton in my dwc experiment last year. It seemed to work out just fine. I ran into lots of other problems early on and had to scrap the whole thing after 10 weeks though.

What sort of problems? The Jiffy's didn't by any chance clog up their airstones, did they?

No problems with the jiffy's. I had a lot of issues with my water temps getting too high in the greenhouse. That caused me to have issues with algae. I think the jiffy's worked ok, but if I ever try it again I will use rapid rooters for cleanliness.

Ah, OK. I don't think I'll be having much of a problem with the algae per se, because I'm keeping the DWC indoors in one of my spare rooms, and it stays between 75-80 in there at all times. I did order some rapid rooter plugs on though :)

Back