• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

media Jiffy 7's - need fertilizing?

I am sprouting on tissue and transferring to Jiffy-7's.  Once seedlings get about 3 proper leave pairs I transplant to around a 10oz cup.  I hope to keep them in these until plant out in about 10 weeks.  Everything seems to be going well.  My question is whether other jiffy-7 users are liquid fertilizing the seedlings while in the jiffy 7's or not?

As it is my first time growing peppers from seeds I started about 5 plants as front runners so I can test everything before doing it on the bulk of the plants.  Ok in theory but I mucked it up and the 5 front runners are annums and the 30 following behind are chinense which are growing a bit slower and thus require more watering before transplant hence fert quesiton.

Jiffy 7 peat pellets? No use to fertilize until after transplant into good potting soil. 10 oz. cups may be a bit small unless you plan on another transplant, which I did with Annuums this year - to 32 oz. cups. Might be good to try 16 - 18 oz. ones.

Fertilizing 1/4 strength a couple weeks after transplant would be OK.

Great answer thanks, I was meaning the jiffy 7 peat pellets.  I am a bit fan of doing as little as possible. I would definitely like to use larger cups but to get them all to fit in my available area it has to be 10oz for the moment.  I keep meaning to post photos of how things are progressing.

Keep an eye on those peat pellets.  It seemed like they were either too wet or too dry when I used them.  It was hard to find a happy medium.  I felt much better when everything moved to good soil.

I agree and have seen increased growth rates after transfer to soil.  I think the peat pots are useful for germinating and keeping track of the identity of plants.  To deal with the drying issue I have them in tupperware containers for  most of the time. I am definitely not saying they are the perfect medium but they have provided a suitably simply introduction to starting seeds for me.

Back