• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Jamaican Red Mushroom Fermentation Sauce!

P8230153-1.jpg

1 large sweet onion
Close to a pound of Red Scotch Bonnets(Thanks to Balac)
4 carrots
2 heads of garlic
3 tbls Whey Starter
2 tbl pickling salt
1 cup of filtered H2O

Bubbles are good... I started getting a few the first night after mixing up the ferment. I didn't run the veggies through the food processor though... just sliced them as thin as I could with a kitchen knife. I've been making kimchi for a few years, and that's how I do it. I figure these ferments are just kimchi without the cabbage. The one thing about using slices instead of a mash is that I have to keep the slices down below the water's surface to keep them from going bad, so I sacrifice a sandwich bag and press it down inside the jar so it's wedged under the water level and it prevents the slices from bobbing up to the surface. When making kimchi I do this with a cabbage leaf.

Bubbles are good... I started getting a few the first night after mixing up the ferment. I didn't run the veggies through the food processor though... just sliced them as thin as I could with a kitchen knife. I've been making kimchi for a few years, and that's how I do it. I figure these ferments are just kimchi without the cabbage. The one thing about using slices instead of a mash is that I have to keep the slices down below the water's surface to keep them from going bad, so I sacrifice a sandwich bag and press it down inside the jar so it's wedged under the water level and it prevents the slices from bobbing up to the surface. When making kimchi I do this with a cabbage leaf.
yeah i saw your jar you are fermenting, well done. Mine is still bubbling but is not showing signs of heavy progress. My starter may have not been very strong. This is my first try at making a ferment. I made some brain strain kimchi a couple weeks ago thats so freaking good. Heavy on the ginger and made with fresh and dried red brain strains. I should post the recipe.

yeah i saw your jar you are fermenting, well done. Mine is still bubbling but is not showing signs of heavy progress. My starter may have not been very strong. This is my first try at making a ferment. I made some brain strain kimchi a couple weeks ago thats so freaking good. Heavy on the ginger and made with fresh and dried red brain strains. I should post the recipe.
Good on ya Mike
I guess you'll know when you crack the jar... I wouldn't mind checking out your kimchi recipe. I'm a bit traditional when it comes to kimchi, but hey, everybody's different, right?

Mines been going since Aug 23. Not much activity in there so i just opened it and threw in more salt and 3 cubes of frozen whey starter. Hope this works! Smells like heaven right now. Where's Rocket Man when i need him!

Sorry Jedi, broken foot's slowing me down a bit. After 2 weeks its going to slow down as there's not as much sugar left over for the lacto to consume. With your addition you might see some activity increase but I doubt it. It's doing exactly what it should. Now it's about aging the mash. This is what gives mashes their wonderful flavors. So, lets see some pics.

Sorry Jedi, broken foot's slowing me down a bit. After 2 weeks its going to slow down as there's not as much sugar left over for the lacto to consume. With your addition you might see some activity increase but I doubt it. It's doing exactly what it should. Now it's about aging the mash. This is what gives mashes their wonderful flavors. So, lets see some pics.
Thanks for the info, sorry to hear about your foot! Get better soon!

PA070176.jpg

PA040178.jpg

Hi Mike
Excellent looking sauce... is it the same one you started back in August? I ran off a couple of batches, but didn't let them sit longer than 30 days each. I'll have to try a batch that sits longer to see if it makes a difference to the final product. Cheers

Back