• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Jamaican Hot Chocolate Pod Test

So, hotter than a orange hab?  I can't wait to taste this pepper.  Just have not had good luck getting this plant to fruit.  It flowers like crazy but couldn't get it to fruit.  Only pepper type (three JamChoco total), out of 72 total plants, that didn't fruit.

Anyway, thanks for the review.  Just another poke to get me crackin' (or kratky if you pronounce it like me) to get this plant to fruit for me.

The Gentle Beast!!! Good to see you doing some reviews again this year, Peter. Cant wait to see you get into some hotter stuff  :hell:
Those JHC are excellent with pan fried steak, just slice into rings and throw in the pan for the last 3-4 minutes, yum.

I think I might be reviewing an absolute screamer from 96Strat sometime in the next couple weeks  :shh:

:cheers:

jakester said:
Very well done! And a very good looking pod!

Sounds tasty, too...
Thanks!
hogleg said:
The Gentle Beast!!! Good to see you doing some reviews again this year, Peter. Cant wait to see you get into some hotter stuff  :hell:

I think I might be reviewing an absolute screamer from 96Strat sometime in the next couple weeks  :shh:

:cheers:
Thanks for the encouragement hogleg! Looking forward to seeing your review.
Pepperhead1989 said:
Great review!
Thanks!
mpicante said:
Good job on the review.I found this one particularly interesting as I havent heard of this variety.
Thanks mpicante! I report how it's doing later in the season. I want to get the one in hydro outside soon. It's been dwc for a while.
dlsolo said:
So, hotter than a orange hab?  I can't wait to taste this pepper.  Just have not had good luck getting this plant to fruit.  It flowers like crazy but couldn't get it to fruit.  Only pepper type (three JamChoco total), out of 72 total plants, that didn't fruit.

Anyway, thanks for the review.  Just another poke to get me crackin' (or kratky if you pronounce it like me) to get this plant to fruit for me.
I had the exact same thing happen to me a couple years ago with Peter Pepper. I grew two plants, and both put out probably 100s of flowers, but only got 2 or 3 pods total. Thought maybe something was off with the genetics in that batch of seed? I don't know. If my JHC is prolific with pods, I'll be happy some seed with you so you try those and see if they do better.

Nice! I’ve heard great things about these; I’ve always wondered about them compared to the much more known chocolate habs. I’ve read a few times people commenting that these indeed have a really great flavor, and that they also prefer them as to yield, growth rate, etc. over and above the chocolate habs. I wasn’t to particularly fond of the chocolate habs I tried fresh, I was told they are much better dried/powdered. I found them very floral… they didn’t have any of the ‘smokiness’ I’ve heard about (I’m assuming that comes out once dried). I preferred the traditional orange habs with their fruity/tropical flavor by far! Other chocolate colored pods… like nagas, morugas 7 Pot’s, etc. had a MUCH better flavor IMO than the chocolate habs. They actually had a bit of smoky characteristic and most were much more muted as far as the floral component - just a greater depth of overall flavor in general. It’s great to see a confirmation as to the Jamaican Hot Chocolates as far as taste, growth rate, and  (hopefully yield). Beautiful pods too! Thanks for the great review, Peter!  ;)

Alchymystic said:
Nice! I’ve heard great things about these; I’ve always wondered about them compared to the much more known chocolate habs. I’ve read a few times people commenting that these indeed have a really great flavor, and that they also prefer them as to yield, growth rate, etc. over and above the chocolate habs. I wasn’t to particularly fond of the chocolate habs I tried fresh, I was told they are much better dried/powdered. I found them very floral… they didn’t have any of the ‘smokiness’ I’ve heard about (I’m assuming that comes out once dried). I preferred the traditional orange habs with their fruity/tropical flavor by far! Other chocolate colored pods… like nagas, morugas 7 Pot’s, etc. had a MUCH better flavor IMO than the chocolate habs. They actually had a bit of smoky characteristic and most were much more muted as far as the floral component - just a greater depth of overall flavor in general. It’s great to see a confirmation as to the Jamaican Hot Chocolates as far as taste, growth rate, and  (hopefully yield). Beautiful pods too! Thanks for the great review, Peter!  ;)
Thanks Joel! Yes, I think it tastes much better than Chocolate Hab. I have an isolation net on this guy already, hopefully will get a good yield and more seeds.

I'm growing Choc Hab from YellowfFin2na and JHC from EvanWilliams19...
ChocHab germed 5/5. JHC germed 2/5.
Both plants had almost exactly the same growth habit and both very quickly grew stems thicker than my thumb. I did not top. Both developing nice tree branch structures. Almost identical. Choc Hab is setting pods on almost every flower. JHC is a bit slower at setting pods and I've lost quite a few flowers. I'm excited to see how they turn out.

Great review Peter! Keep them coming.

I grew Choc Habs in the past until last year and I grew JHC for the first time, had no trouble at all with the plants setting fruit and they were very heavy producers as well. 

The Choc Habs had a more earthy bell like taste, the JHC are much tastier in my view, not nearly as hot as the Choc Habs but oh well, the offset of better taste was a positive for me.

Growing JHC again this year, I doubt I ever go back to Choc Habs....  I just grow some various Choc 7 pots for the increased heat. 

Malarky said:
I'm growing Choc Hab from YellowfFin2na and JHC from EvanWilliams19...
ChocHab germed 5/5. JHC germed 2/5.
Both plants had almost exactly the same growth habit and both very quickly grew stems thicker than my thumb. I did not top. Both developing nice tree branch structures. Almost identical. Choc Hab is setting pods on almost every flower. JHC is a bit slower at setting pods and I've lost quite a few flowers. I'm excited to see how they turn out.

Great review Peter! Keep them coming.
Thanks! And thanks for sharing your results too.

Back