• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking It's Duck Season!

One of the benefits of being Canadian is that our Thanksgiving happens when there's still a good deal of sunlight.

This year, we decided to make Thanksgiving special by having the local turkey smoke a duck... or two.

I don't have pictures hand now, however will include them when I get access to them.

Brine/no brine .. length of cooking.. instructions were all over the place. About the only thing that I found
was to hot smoke the duck. Small surprise there. Most people only smoked the breast pieces, so I took a couple
of sources and merged the instructions which follow.

(I've included instructions in both English and Metric so that everyone can use their method of choice)

Duck Brine - Prepare ahead so it can cool.

1L/1Qt Apple Juice
1/4 C Salt
3+ Tsp Peppercorns, cracked
1+ Cloves Garlic, crushed
Crushed Bay Leaf ( Optional)

Mix together the juice, salt and most of the peppercorns and garlic. Heat if necessary. If you're a dumbass and forget to wash out/off
the birds, bring this to a boil, remove the foam and boil for 5 minutes before cooling. Reserve the left over peppercorn and garlic to apply to the skin.

This was enough brine for 2 ducks with a little left over for either cooking the gizzards in, or reducing for a sauce or glaze.

The birds sat in the brine overnight, approx 10 hrs.

I started up the smoker and once it was ready to go, added a combination of alder chips and some blackberry canes
that we cut back earlier in the year. If you don't have black berry canes handy, fruit wood/lightly flavoured wood
are recommended for duck.

They were on the grill for a total of 4 hrs, and were turned over halfway through the process.

The meat was still a touch on the pink side, so I would suggest cooking them for another 30-45 mins, unless you
like the meat a touch on the rare side. The meat was not greasy and was wonderfully tender, and has great flavour
from both the alder and blackberry smoke.

... pictures will follow...

Duane.

Where did you knock the ducks down ? I used to go to the south side of Severn River near Wabashene.

That would be a little place called T&T supermarket. Funny thing was that those birds had no feathers and were strangely cold when they were found...

Sounds like a plan. I like Turkey, but not too many people do and I always end up with 10 lbs of leftover from a 12lb turkey each year. Then I have to eat most of it for leftovers. I don't mind, but it seems like no one at the office will go near my office for a week after Thanksgiving :whistle:

I may give a go at putting a few ducks on the smoker next to the turkey and pork butt.

I haven't tried smoking duck yet, but I've become a huge fan of Smoked goose, especially in the form of jerky. I'm also hoping to try some wild turkey soon since there are just so many of them this year in Potawie-land, but I think hunting season is in the spring

Quack. Bang!

Some pics of a duck smoke from a while back.

Duck breast after 24 hours sittin' on a dry rub.

IMG_2636.jpg

225f on the UDS.

IMG_2641.jpg

This stuff was bbq candy!

IMG_2650.jpg

I'll take duck over chicken or turkey any day!

those look great. I wanted to do a whole duck, but after looking at those breasts that seems like the way to go for simplicity. Did you get them from a local butcher or a specialty shop online and have them shipped?

those look great. I wanted to do a whole duck, but after looking at those breasts that seems like the way to go for simplicity. Did you get them from a local butcher or a specialty shop online and have them shipped?

Gottem' right here in the big dry ditch just down the street at the hippy joint...aka Whole Foods.

This week is moose hunting week in south / central Ont. First time I missed it, gets annoying not getting a tag for 10+ years in a row.

Wow you need a tag for those? I watched a show recently that had some great coverage of them invading the city. Seems like they just put them to sleep and move them back? Seems like they need to provide a lot more tags!

Back