• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

breeding Is it worth cross pollentating?

Any ideas how seeds from peach habanero pollen dabbed on Bhuts would come out?

I got a 1 foot long red pepper from the store- massive!
If crossed with peach hab could one get a giant orange fruity less hot pepper?

Nute said:

It would be an interesting project for sure ;)

Nute said:

Hmm, why a less hot one? I'd like a foot-long Naga plz... :twisted:

Nute said:

that sounds like a good idea to me,maybe a big red hot with great flavor,i would look for plants that set fruit easily and use the pollen from the Bhut as it will add heat and is a landrace seed,select the pod parent for type and flavor and just select what you like from there.
maybe try a sweet red long green chili like anaheim or sandia.
some of the pueblo strains are very old heirloom types and are excellent for roasting /sauce and dried red powder.
this would be a c.annum X c.chinese f1
and is something ive considered doing too.

good luck man and let me know if you get started.

pablo

I am planning on doing some crosses this year using the Bhut Jolokia. Bhut x Jalapeno, Bhut x Quadrato d'Asti Rosso (large Italian red bell pepper), and Bhut x Takanotsume.

I know that bell peppers have a recessive gene that makes it not spicy. I'm not really sure what genes are recessive or dominant so who knows what you will get. It will be fun and maybe you will get something cool.

If you crossed a Bolivian Rainbow with a chilli that just ripened from green to say red, would the cross not have pods that ripen through the colour stages :confused:

rainbowberry said:
If you crossed a Bolivian Rainbow with a chilli that just ripened from green to say red, would the cross not have pods that ripen through the colour stages :confused:
I can't see why. please explain. :)

Hybridizing isn't all that simple unless its just some f1 seeds you are after. If you want to stabilize a variety you will need to grow many samples for many, many years and select only the most desired traits for inbreeding

POTAWIE said:
Hybridizing isn't all that simple unless its just some f1 seeds you are after. If you want to stabilize a variety you will need to grow many samples for many, many years and select only the most desired traits for inbreeding
Obviously. not just in plants.

rainbowberry said:

Possible but red color will usually dominate

rainbowberry said:

When I was a kid, I crossed Marigolds for 3 yrs wiht selective polination and seed to get a pur brown Marigold. I was 12. And I did it.

Thought I'd be rich until I realized Burpee beat me to it.

Oh well. I stil did it, I made an all brown Marigold. Fuk Burpee.

Heheheh.

I'm Celt, we ARE plants..and we fear nothing.

POTAWIE said:
Possible but red color will usually dominate
An experiment to try sometime then, but maybe not with a red chilli, then again if I used a different colour chilli I expect that colour would be dominate too (say yellow).

The big ol red chili seeds were not planted yet but some peach hab pollen was put on the cherry pepper and regular hab.

Preserve with cuttings or make seeds with back crossing-
If a neat plant comes out of the seed just make cuttings from it.
For easy seeds each new generation is crossed back with the original parent or cutting of it.

Sounds like an interesting experiment, its always worth trying (I am crossing some of my varieties [Kashmiri x Scorpion, Aji Lemon x Scorpion, Kashmiri x Tobago Seasoning, Thai x 7-Pot])...the thing about hybridizing is that you really never know what you'll get...because there's always the possiblity of getting a mutation (sometimes good, sometimes bad)...but many of the different varieties of flowers and veggies you see today resulted from unintended mutations...give it a try and see what happens.

Well- thats cool-
Its 2008. The monolith was supposed to happen in 99.
We're major in the future gone chillin with glowing pigs and cats but it is The Hot Peppers who would be the first to cross habs with giant peppers?

Back