• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Impy vs Bhut Jolokia

Today I had my first experience with the Bhut Jolokia. I happened to find some at a local supermarket, much to my surprise. They were expensive, 9 peppers for 9 bucks, but I just had to try them. First, I made some tacos which can be seen over here: http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/24220-impys-what-the-heck-am-i-doing-bhut-jolokia-tacos/

I felt I had to do an obligatory youtube video of me eating PART of a pepper. I didn't dare attempt a whole one. Here I am, in all my pepper lovin' glory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtDYBqkzz9U

Today I had my first experience with the Bhut Jolokia. I happened to find some at a local supermarket, much to my surprise. They were expensive, 9 peppers for 9 bucks, but I just had to try them. First, I made some tacos which can be seen over here: http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/24220-impys-what-the-heck-am-i-doing-bhut-jolokia-tacos/

I felt I had to do an obligatory youtube video of me eating PART of a pepper. I didn't dare attempt a whole one. Here I am, in all my pepper lovin' glory:
BRAVO! a LOT of people just bite off the bottom third(least amount of heat) or so, and sliver or no-you got the bottom/middle/top there! The endorphins kick in afterwards...
Cheers-
DJ

Bravo!!
good video :dance:
You handled it very good aswell.
So are you gonna try anything hotter than a bhut now?

Hotter than a bhut?? Nah, baby steps :). If anything I'll try eating more of the pepper. But man oh man the heartburn afterwards was pretty bad. I'm sure it would've been better had I not eaten like 5 bhut tacos today lol.

BRAVO! a LOT of people just bite off the bottom third(least amount of heat) or so, and sliver or no-you got the bottom/middle/top there! The endorphins kick in afterwards...
Cheers-
DJ

Thanks!! That was really my intent, although admittedly I did cut out some of the membrane. I honestly didn't know what to expect and if I would be able to handle it. Heatwise I bet I could've handled a bit more (granted I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to talk much), but stomachwise...ugh. My mouth often writes checks my gut can't handle.

good job, impychick!

Sometimes the chile will get you in the gut worse than the mouth. I've wondered if it has to do with what's been eaten (or in some cases, not having eaten ...) before downing the chile.

You handled that bhut well. No matter what anyone says, bhuts in any form will kick a person's butt.

thanks for sharing!
SL

Great job, Impychick! Where did you find bhuts in a supermarket in KC? I may have to start shopping there.

You did better than me with my first portion of bhut. I ended up spitting it out and dashing to the refrigerator for 3 glasses of milk. When that didn't work, I sucked on ice cubes for 20 minutes. You took it like a trooper.

Hotter than a bhut?? Nah, baby steps :). If anything I'll try eating more of the pepper. But man oh man the heartburn afterwards was pretty bad. I'm sure it would've been better had I not eaten like 5 bhut tacos today lol.

Thanks!! That was really my intent, although admittedly I did cut out some of the membrane. I honestly didn't know what to expect and if I would be able to handle it. Heatwise I bet I could've handled a bit more (granted I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to talk much), but stomachwise...ugh. My mouth often writes checks my gut can't handle.
Omeprazole is great for stopping those check bouncing episodes before they happen ;)

Great job, Impychick! Where did you find bhuts in a supermarket in KC? I may have to start shopping there.

You did better than me with my first portion of bhut. I ended up spitting it out and dashing to the refrigerator for 3 glasses of milk. When that didn't work, I sucked on ice cubes for 20 minutes. You took it like a trooper.

Thanks! I got them from the Price Chopper at 75th and Metcalf!

another thread peeps were saying Bananas for the stomach. I think there's a new Scoville scale: The hotter the pepper, the higher your eyebrows!!! Too awesome!

Back