breeding I think I have a hybrid

I grew my first plant thinking it was a Bhut Jolokia. When the pods came out smooth and small, I figured they must be a jalapeno since the guy I got the seed from had both kinds. I figured I messed up which container was which. Now, however, I'm not so sure I have a jalapeno... The pods start out dark green and ripen from dark brown to fire-engine red. However, the pods never develop the characteristic jalapeno cracks in the skin. In terms of flavor, the pods are pretty close to a jalapeno in heat and taste sweet with a little bit of a "green" flavor when totally ripe...

Anybody have any ideas what I have?

http://imgur.com/ZXJc0D9

SciurusDoomus said:
I grew my first plant thinking it was a Bhut Jolokia. When the pods came out smooth and small, I figured they must be a jalapeno since the guy I got the seed from had both kinds. I figured I messed up which container was which. Now, however, I'm not so sure I have a jalapeno... The pods start out dark green and ripen from dark brown to fire-engine red. However, the pods never develop the characteristic jalapeno cracks in the skin. In terms of flavor, the pods are pretty close to a jalapeno in heat and taste sweet with a little bit of a "green" flavor when totally ripe...

Anybody have any ideas what I have?

2013-09-03%2012.05.01.jpg

One more time?
Does sound like a jap tho.

There are many variations of common peppers like Jalapeno or Bell, it seems that you have one that just doesn't meet your expectations from past jalapenos you encountered, although it is a bit odd that they are growing inverted but I suppose it could be the small size/weight isn't causing them to hang downward.

One strain of jalapeno I've grown seemed to have smaller pods when it was in a smaller container and root bound.  I mean that seemed to affect it more so than with other types of peppers and they seemed prone to purple patches from sun exposure... though IIRC I grew that one during a really sunny, hot season.

Interesting. Well as long as these are jalapenos that's great. It's what I'd thought I'd been growing for a while. Thanks for the replies.

Back